Induced current and voltage, magnetism

In summary, a single square loop of high resistivity wire (rho = 10^-6 ohm-meters) is placed in a constant magnetic field B of 0.3 Teslas and oriented so that the axis of rotation of the loop is perpendicular to B and in the plane of the loop. The loop rotates with an angular frequency of 300/second. The peak value of the voltage induced around the loop during the rotation is L(dI/dt) where I is the current and dI is the change in current. If the wire has a cross-sectional area of 10^-6 m^2, the value of the current induced in the loop is I_peak(sin(omega*
scholio

Homework Statement

a single square loop of high resistivity wire ( rho = 10^-6 ohm-meters) is placed in a constant magnetic field B of 0.3 Teslas and oriented so that the axis of rotation of the loop is perpendicular to B and in the plane of the loop. the loop rotates with an angular frequency of 300/second.

a) if the square has a side length of 3 cm, what is the peak value of the voltage induced around the loop during the rotation?

b) if the wire has a cross-sectional area of 10^-6 m^2, what is the value of the current induced in the loop?

Homework Equations

angular frequency, omega = 2pi(f) where f is frequency

peak voltage, V_peak(sin(omega*t)) = L(dI/dt) where t is time, dt is change in time, dI is change in current

voltage V = V_peak(omega*t + phi_v) where phi_v is phase angle = 90 deg

period T = 2pi(m)/qB where m is mass, q is charge, B is magnetic field

current I = I_peak(sin(omega*t + phi_i) where omega is angular freq., phi_i is phase angle = 90deg

voltage induced, V = (A)dB/dt where dB is change in magnetic field, dt is change in time, A is area (3*3 = 9cm^2 )=

The Attempt at a Solution

i am sure i am missing equations, which equation involves magnetic field and the other givens? how does the resistivity come into play?

angular freq, omega = 2pi(f)
300 = 2pi(f)
frequency, f = 300/2pi = 47.74 rot/sec

using "V_peak(sin(omega*t)) = L(dI/dt)" it seems i need time, if i find time, i will be able to determine V_peak for part a, as omega is given, is dI assumed constant?

i am stuck on a, so haven't attempted part b, help for either part appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the component of the area normal to the magnetic field as a function of time.

since for part a, the length of the square is given to be 3cm, than the area would be 9cm^2, or 0.09m^2.

if i use " V = (A)dB/dt" ---> V = 0.09(0.3)/dt

is this what you mean?

how do i get time, is it related to the frequency i found in the original post?

scholio said:
since for part a, the length of the square is given to be 3cm, than the area would be 9cm^2, or 0.09m^2.

if i use " V = (A)dB/dt" ---> V = 0.09(0.3)/dt

is this what you mean?

how do i get time, is it related to the frequency i found in the original post?

If I read your explanation correctly, isn't the square loop rotating so that the flux through the loop is changing?

oh so magnetic flux = [integral(BdA)] where B is magnetic field, dA is change in area

in part a, the area does not change, correct? so dA = 0, thus magnetic flux is zero, correct?

you mention that the flux is changing, I'm confused, could you explain further? if flux is changing, i need to use faraday's law of induction then: emf, epsilon = -d(magnetic flux)/dt ---> where do i get epsilon, is this where i get the time portion for " V = (A)dB/dt" ---> V = 0.09(0.3)/dt??

Is http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/3447/picturegs9.jpg [Broken] a proper setup for this problem, or am I reading your explanation wrong?

Assuming it is, as the wire rotates in that direction, the "face", if you will, of the loop of wire, goes from being completely perpendicular to the magnetic field to completely parallel to the magnetic field, so no, the change magnetic flux is not zero, it is some value that varies sinusoidally with the rotation of the loop

Now, your magnetic field is constant, but the component of this loop's area that is perpendicular to the magnetic field at any given time is not. You use this "changing" area to get the change in flux which will, in turn, get you the induced voltage.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is induced current?

Induced current is the flow of electricity through a conductor that is caused by a change in magnetic field. It is also known as electromagnetic induction.

How is induced current created?

Induced current is created when there is a change in the magnetic field that passes through a conductor. This can happen when the conductor moves through a magnetic field, when the magnetic field changes in strength, or when the conductor itself changes position or orientation.

What is the relationship between induced current and voltage?

Induced current and voltage are directly related. An increase in the induced current results in an increase in the induced voltage, and vice versa. This relationship is described by Faraday's law of induction.

What is the difference between induced current and direct current?

Induced current is created by a changing magnetic field, while direct current is a steady flow of electricity in one direction. Induced current is typically short-lived and can vary in magnitude and direction, while direct current is constant in both magnitude and direction.

What are some real-world applications of induced current and voltage?

Induced current and voltage have many practical applications, including in generators, transformers, and electric motors. They are also used in wireless charging, metal detectors, and MRI machines. Induced current is also the basis for many renewable energy sources, such as hydroelectric power and wind turbines.