Induced electric field in a solenoid

In summary, the electric field induced at a radius of 1cm from the axis of the solenoid with 1000 turns per meter and radius 2cm, carrying an oscillating current of (5A)sin(100πt), is (1/2)μ0nrωI_maxcos(ωt). The direction of the electric field is counterclockwise when the current is increasing in the coil.
richyw

Homework Statement

A long solenoid with 1000 turns per meter and radius 2cm carries an oscillating current given by [itex](5A)\sin(100\pi t)[/itex]. What is the electric field induced at radius r=1cm from the axis of the solenoid? What is the direction of this electric field when the current is increasing counterclockwise in the coil?

Homework Equations

[tex]\oint\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}=-\frac{d\Phi_B}{dt}[/tex]
[tex]\Phi_B=\oint\vec{B}\vec{dA}[/tex]and I have this on my formula sheet so I will start at this point (magnetic field inside a solenoid with n turns per unit length and current I[tex]B=\mu_0nI[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I think in this situation I can say [tex]\Phi_B=BA=(\mu_0nI)(\pi r^2)[/tex]So[tex]\frac{d\Phi_B}{dt}=\pi\mu_0nr^2\frac{dI}{dt}[/tex]
Also
[tex]\oint\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{l}=2E\pi r[/tex]
So I got (ignoring the negative, just considering the magnitude)
[tex]E=\frac{\pi\mu_0nr^2}{2\pi r}\frac{dI}{dt}= \frac{1}{2} \mu_0nr\frac{dI}{dt}=\frac{1}{2}\mu_0nr\omega I_{max}\cos(\omega t)[/tex]where [itex]\omega=100\pi[/itex] and [itex]I_{max}=5A[/itex]

This makes sense to me but is not getting me the correct answer! Also I only reasoned that the electric field would be clockwise, but not really sure on that part. Does anyone see where I am going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks good to me. Did you convert r to SI units?

ah sorry. this was the correct answer! the solution I was looking at messed up. what a waste of time typing that out! thank you for looking at this for me!

What is an induced electric field in a solenoid?

An induced electric field in a solenoid is a type of electromagnetic force that is created when a changing magnetic field passes through a coil of wire, known as a solenoid. This changing magnetic field induces an electric field within the solenoid, causing an electric current to flow.

How is an induced electric field in a solenoid calculated?

The induced electric field in a solenoid can be calculated using Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the magnitude of the induced electric field is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the solenoid. The direction of the induced electric field can be determined using Lenz's Law.

What factors affect the strength of an induced electric field in a solenoid?

The strength of an induced electric field in a solenoid is affected by the rate of change of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the solenoid coil, and the permeability of the materials inside the solenoid. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger induced electric field.

What is the practical application of an induced electric field in a solenoid?

Induced electric fields in solenoids are commonly used in devices such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. They can also be used in technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.

What are some other examples of induced electric fields?

Aside from solenoids, induced electric fields can also be found in other types of coils, such as inductors and electromagnets. They can also be induced in conductors when they move through a magnetic field, as in the case of electric generators.