1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced emf as a magnet passes through a solenoid

1. Jul 23, 2011 #1
    I'm doing a lab write-up for physics 2. The experiment is about the title, a bar magnet being dropped through a solenoid.

I have to explain four graphs that plot the change in emf (y axis) vs. time (x) axis. There are incoming and outgoing peaks on these graphs. I have to tie these results with the equation emf = -N(ΔΦ/Δt).

For example, if a bar magnet is dropped with north facing downward through the center of the coil, why is the incoming peak positive? How do the magnetic field, induced magnetic field, and emf all tie together to produce a positive peak?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2011 #2
    The formula emf = -N ΔΦ/Δt, gives you most of the information you need. The changing magnetic flux induces an emf. The emf is induced opposite of the direction at which the magnetic field "tries" to induce into the solenoid. The direction at which the current would have to go in order to induce a magnetic field in the opposite direction (thus, the negative in the formula). The N simply means the number of loops within the solenoid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook