Induced EMF, bar moving through magnetic field

In summary, the metal bar with length L moving at a constant velocity V will experience an EMF, or Magnetic Force, due to the wire carrying a current I. The higher potential point is at "a" (a distance "d" from the wire) which is where the metal bar is closer to the wire.
timnswede

Homework Statement

A long, straight wire as shown below carries a constant current I. A metal bar with length L is moving at a constant velocity V as shown. Point ‘a’ is a distance ‘d’ from the wire. a) Derive an expression for the EMF induced in the bar. b) Which point ‘a’ or ‘b’ is at a higher potential?
RvBlRUb.png

Homework Equations

B=μI/2πr for a straight wire. EMF=Blv for motional EMF.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a) I split up the bar into a bunch of small segments of length dr, a distance "r" away from the wire. so dB=μIdr/2πr. Integrating that from point (a) to point (a+b) I get B=(μI/2π)ln((a+b)/a). While I feel reasonably confident about that part, I thought about it a bit more, and I am not sure how multiplying the B-field, μI/2πr by the length, dr, really makes sense, am I forgetting something important? But assuming that is right, I just plug that into EMF=Blv, and get my answer.

Part b) I feel stuck on, only thing I could thing of was using the equation B=μI/2πr and plugging in and (a) and (a+b) for r. Since if I plug in (a) it will be a greater value, then the EMF will be greater there.

Physics news on Phys.org
The B field is not segmented into small sections dB. B is not a differential here.
Do you know the Blv law? It's the expression for emf of a bar of length l moving with velocity v perpendicularly to a B field such that B, l and v are all orthogonal to each other. Now, what is the right expression for a differential element of emf based on this law?

rude man said:
The B field is not segmented into small sections dB. B is not a differential here.
Do you know the Blv law? It's the expression for emf of a bar of length l moving with velocity v perpendicularly to a B field such that B, l and v are all orthogonal to each other. Now, what is the right expression for a differential element of emf based on this law?
I worked on it some more and got d(EMF)=B(r)vdr which simplifies to d(EMF)=(μI/2πr)vdr, with limits for the right side of "a" to "a+b". Also B(r) is the B-field a distance "r" away from the wire.
Forgot to add that for part b) I used the right hand rule and got the the magnetic force, Fb is pointing towards point a for a positive charge inside the rod, so the positive charges will go towards point a and the negative charges towards point b, so point a is at a higher potential.

timnswede said:
I worked on it some more and got d(EMF)=B(r)vdr which simplifies to d(EMF)=(μI/2πr)vdr, with limits for the right side of "a" to "a+b". Also B(r) is the B-field a distance "r" away from the wire.
Forgot to add that for part b) I used the right hand rule and got the the magnetic force, Fb is pointing towards point a for a positive charge inside the rod, so the positive charges will go towards point a and the negative charges towards point b, so point a is at a higher potential.
That looks 100% right.

rude man said:
That looks 100% right.
Great, thanks!

What is Induced EMF?

Induced EMF, short for Induced Electromotive Force, refers to the voltage or potential difference that is generated in a conductor when it moves through a magnetic field. It is a phenomenon that is governed by Faraday's law of induction and plays a crucial role in the functioning of electric motors and generators.

How is Induced EMF created?

Induced EMF is created when a conductor, such as a wire, moves through a magnetic field. This movement causes the magnetic field lines to cut across the conductor, inducing a voltage in the wire. The magnitude of the induced EMF depends on the speed of the motion, the strength of the magnetic field, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field lines.

What is the direction of induced EMF?

The direction of induced EMF can be determined using Lenz's law, which states that the induced current in a conductor will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux that caused it. In other words, the direction of the induced EMF will be such that it tries to maintain the original magnetic field configuration.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced EMF?

The magnitude of induced EMF is affected by several factors, including the speed of the movement of the conductor, the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the conductor, and the angle between the conductor and the magnetic field lines. Additionally, the type of material and the resistance of the conductor also play a role in determining the magnitude of induced EMF.

What are some real-world applications of induced EMF?

Induced EMF has numerous practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in electric generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy, in electric motors to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, and in transformers to change the voltage of alternating current. Induced EMF is also used in devices such as loudspeakers, microphones, and magnetic levitation trains.