Induced emf of Sliding Wire Down Rails

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where a wire slides down two parallel conducting rails with a uniform magnetic field present. The question is to determine the emf observed across the wire after it travels a certain distance. Although the bottom part of the rails is removed, the Lorentz force still applies and creates an electric field that constitutes an emf. This can be calculated using Faraday's law, as there is a link between the Lorentz force and Faraday's law.
Blitzmeister

Homework Statement

[This is the best image I could find]
e_48_3_008_p1.jpg

The link on the bottom part of the rails is now removed creating two parallel wires that are not connected (so no longer U shaped but just two rails).
Now a wire of length L, mass m and resistance R slides without friction down parallel conducting rails of negligible resistance. The rails make an angle of θ with the horizontal and a uniform magnetic field B points vertically upward throughout the region. If the wire starts from rest, what emf will be observed across it after it travels 0.05m?

Homework Equations

I don't know if any that I know apply

The Attempt at a Solution

So if the bottom part of the rails were there, I would just need to apply Faraday's Law and be done: (e.g. ε = -dΦB/dt; ΦB = B dot A ∴ ε = BLvcosθ, then to solve for v we just set force of gravity equal to magnetic force and substitute back into original equation)
However, the bottom part of the rails is not there, and I don't know how to start. I would make a guess and say ε = 0 since there is no loop

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello BM, and welcome to PF :smile: !

Not much to go on then, eh ? No equations and no bottom part, so the whole attempt at solution goes down the drain !

Homework Equations

[/B]
I don't know if any that I know apply
Let me try to verify that: ever heard of the Lorentz force ? If yes, then you do know one that applies !

In the moving wire, there are free charge carriers and they too are moving through a magnetic field. So they will go where the Lorentz force forces them !
And they can't go far if the loop isn't closed, right ? Because when they are pushed together one way, they build up an electric field in the conductor. Stops them from moving (because the Lorentz force is now zero), But that E field constitutes a potential difference, an emf ! Just like in Faraday's law. And you already know what to do when that applies! Isn't that cute ?

Check out the link between Lorentz force and Faradady's law here.

What is induced emf of a sliding wire down rails?

Induced emf of a sliding wire down rails is the voltage generated in a wire when it moves perpendicular to a magnetic field. This emf is induced due to the relative motion between the wire and the magnetic field.

What factors affect the induced emf of a sliding wire down rails?

The induced emf of a sliding wire down rails is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the wire, and the length of the wire that is moving across the magnetic field. The angle between the wire and the magnetic field also plays a role in the induced emf.

How is the direction of induced emf determined?

The direction of induced emf is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the direction of the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic flux. This means that the induced emf will always try to maintain the status quo and resist any change in the magnetic field.

Can the induced emf be increased?

Yes, the induced emf can be increased by increasing the speed of the wire, increasing the strength of the magnetic field, or increasing the length of the wire that is moving across the magnetic field. Additionally, using a loop of wire instead of a straight wire can also increase the induced emf.

What are some practical applications of induced emf of a sliding wire down rails?

Induced emf has various practical applications, such as in generators and transformers, where it is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. It is also used in induction cooktops, magnetic levitation trains, and metal detectors.