1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced emf of Sliding Wire Down Rails

1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [This is the best image I could find]
    e_48_3_008_p1.jpg
    The link on the bottom part of the rails is now removed creating two parallel wires that are not connected (so no longer U shaped but just two rails).
    Now a wire of length L, mass m and resistance R slides without friction down parallel conducting rails of negligible resistance. The rails make an angle of θ with the horizontal and a uniform magnetic field B points vertically upward throughout the region. If the wire starts from rest, what emf will be observed across it after it travels 0.05m?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know if any that I know apply

3. The attempt at a solution
    So if the bottom part of the rails were there, I would just need to apply Faraday's Law and be done: (e.g. ε = -dΦB/dt; ΦB = B dot A ∴ ε = BLvcosθ, then to solve for v we just set force of gravity equal to magnetic force and substitute back into original equation)
    However, the bottom part of the rails is not there, and I don't know how to start. I would make a guess and say ε = 0 since there is no loop

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello BM, and welcome to PF :smile: !

Not much to go on then, eh ? No equations and no bottom part, so the whole attempt at solution goes down the drain !

Let me try to verify that: ever heard of the Lorentz force ? If yes, then you do know one that applies !

In the moving wire, there are free charge carriers and they too are moving through a magnetic field. So they will go where the Lorentz force forces them !
    And they can't go far if the loop isn't closed, right ? Because when they are pushed together one way, they build up an electric field in the conductor. Stops them from moving (because the Lorentz force is now zero), But that E field constitutes a potential difference, an emf ! Just like in Faraday's law. And you already know what to do when that applies! Isn't that cute ?

Check out the link between Lorentz force and Faradady's law here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted