Induced EMF on a primary coil by a secondary coil

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 9K views
KaiserBrandon
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
1. Derive an equation to find the induced EMF on an inner solenoid by a changing current on an outer solenoid.



Homework Equations


We're given the equation EoRMS=(No*Ai*(2*pi*f)*(permeability constant)*IiRMS)/Li for the induced EMF on the outer solenoid by a changing current in the inner. I need an equation to replace this for when it's the other way around.


The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea where to even begin, I just need a hint as to how I should start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
KaiserBrandon said:
1. Derive an equation to find the induced EMF on an inner solenoid by a changing current on an outer solenoid.



Homework Equations


We're given the equation EoRMS=(No*Ai*(2*pi*f)*(permeability constant)*IiRMS)/Li for the induced EMF on the outer solenoid by a changing current in the inner. I need an equation to replace this for when it's the other way around.


The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea where to even begin, I just need a hint as to how I should start.
Start with Faraday's law for a coil:

[tex]V_{induced} = -N\frac{d\phi}{dt} = -NA\frac{dB}{dt}[/tex]

where N is the number of coils in the inner coil, B is the magnetic field and A is the area enclosed by the coils.

Can you apply Ampere's law to determine the relationship between the rate of change of current in the outer coil and dB/dt?

AM