1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductance between a polyurethane surface

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    I am interested in creating an electric circuit that travels through a polyurethane surface. My plan is to set up two electrodes separated by the dielectric material.

My question to the wisdom of the internet is how much current will be lost through the polyurethane surface. I am looking for both a qualitative and a quantitative for me to fully understand.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Polyeurathane is an insulator? Your description suits a capacitor more than an inductor. Why not set it up and measure it?

If it conducts at all - no current will be lost through the surface.
    The rate that charge enters one side is the same (steady state) as the rate that charge leaves the other side. It may lose energy on the way through though.

4. Jul 10, 2012 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Indeed. Some types are used as potting/conformal coating compounds to add mechanical stability and improve physical shock resistance of electronic circuits.

5. Jul 10, 2012 #4
    You will be hard pressed to make a circuit small enough to 'travel through' any solid.

no current will be 'lost'. [If it 'goes missing', you can find it.]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook