Inductance: Can L1 and L2 be replaced by an equivalent inductor in Figure 4(b)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter james123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inductance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
james123

Homework Statement



(c) See if you can show that L1 and L2 can be replaced by the

equivalent inductor, Leq, of FIGURE 4(b) where Leq = L1L2-M^2/L1+L2-2M

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
I+I1+I2

Leq = V(L2-M)/jω(L1*L2-M^2) + V(L1-M)/jω(L1*L2-M^2)

= V*(L1+L2)-2M/jω(L1*L2-M^2)

V/jω*Leq = L1*L2-M^2/L1+L2-2M

Can anybody tell me if I'm close with this one or not? Struggling for days with it!

Any advice is appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh great! So after reading through I presume 'his_tonyness' got part 'C' correct since he wasn't corrected by yourself apart from I=I1+I2?
 
james123 said:
Ahh great! So after reading through I presume 'his_tonyness' got part 'C' correct since he wasn't corrected by yourself apart from I=I1+I2?
I believe that is the case. It's been a while since I took part in that thread (2015).