Understanding Windage/Friction Losses in Induction Motors

In summary, the conversation discusses windage/friction losses and how they are related to power. The speaker has reworked their calculations and determined that the windage/friction loss is approximately 220 watts. They have also calculated the magnetization loss per phase and found the phase angle to be 84.4 degrees. Using this information, they have calculated the values for R0 and X0 to be 84 ohms and 18.77 ohms, respectively. They are unsure about how to approach the question about the locked rotor.
Connorm1
Homework Statement
4. A four-pole, star-connected, squirrel-cage induction motor operates from
a variable voltage 50 Hz three-phase supply. The following results were
obtained as the supply voltage was gradually reduced with the motor
running on no-load.
Stator line voltage 220 164 112 88 42
Stator line current (amperes) 6.8 5.4 3.9 3.8 3.7
Stator power (watts) 470 360 278 244 232
(a) By plotting a suitable graph from these results, determine the total of
windage and friction losses, the no load magnetising current I0
(assume no load current I0 is magnetising losses) and the equivalent
circuit magnetising circuit parameters R0 and X0.
Relevant Equations
P = √3 x VL x IL x CosФ
So I've attached my graph and found that the windage/friction losses occur roughly around 230Watts. I just don't know how i further explain the magnetising current I0. I know I0 = input current on no load. So do i assumed from P = √3 x VL x IL x CosФ that CosФ=230/√3*220*6.8= 0.0849 or 85.1degrees (220 and 6.8 is what i assume voltage and current are on load). I0=IL*CosФ = 6.8/0.08 = 0.577Amps. Just wish to see if I am going right so far otherwise my R0 and X0 will be wrong.

Attachments

• Graph.pdf
    962.9 KB · Views: 325
Physics news on Phys.org
Connorm1 said:
found that the windage/friction losses occur roughly around 230Watts.

Where do windage/friction losses come from? How should they depend on power?

Hi @anorlunda ,

So i know from the graph windage/friction losses constitute the power lost when the stator voltage=0V. I have actually reworked this question and got something I am more happy with. I've actually said the windage/friction loss is 220W from extending the graph to 0V. I know that VL is 220/√ 3 and the magnetising current is 6.8A, from what I've read i could have used any line voltage and current from the graph. I then found the magnetization loss per phase which wsa 470-220/3 giving 84W per phase (roughly). Then found the phase angle which was Φ= cos-1(Pm/VL*Io) so Φ=cos-1(84/((220/√ 3)*6.8)= 84.4 degrees. Then using R0= VL/(I0*CosΦ) and X0=VL/(I0*CosΦ) giving R0=84ohms and X0=18.77ohm. Does this look right?

I don't know where to start with the rotor locked question.

Last edited:

1. What is windage/friction loss in induction motors?

Windage/friction loss refers to the energy loss that occurs in induction motors due to the mechanical friction between the moving parts and the air resistance caused by the rotation of the rotor.

2. How does windage/friction loss affect the performance of an induction motor?

Windage/friction loss can decrease the efficiency of an induction motor, resulting in reduced power output and increased energy consumption. It can also cause the motor to run hotter, which can lead to premature wear and failure.

3. What factors contribute to windage/friction loss in induction motors?

Some factors that contribute to windage/friction loss include the speed of the motor, the design and construction of the motor, the quality and type of bearings used, and the amount of lubrication present.

4. How can windage/friction loss be minimized in induction motors?

To minimize windage/friction loss, it is important to use high-quality bearings, properly lubricate the motor, and design the motor with low windage components. Additionally, keeping the motor running at its optimal speed can help reduce windage/friction loss.

5. Can windage/friction loss be measured and quantified in induction motors?

Yes, windage/friction loss can be measured and quantified through various methods such as conducting laboratory tests, using mathematical models, or using specialized equipment like dynamometers. This information can help engineers optimize motor designs and improve efficiency.