Calculating Efficiency and Speed of a DC Motor at Half-Load Torque

In summary: Ra=Ia*RPMnewSo, substituting in,Enew=(60/RPMnew)*RaYou would then need to increase the current in the field winding by 220Ω to achieve 1000rpm.In summary, the motor current decreases as the torque falls, resulting in a decrease in speed. The armature current is constant at 20 Amps and the resistance is negligible. The efficiency is determined by the output power minus the losses divided by the input power.
Numbskull
Homework Statement
A 20kW DC shunt motor supplied with 500V, draws a full-load current of 45A and rotates at 600rpm. The no-load current is 5A. The field resistance is 220 Ohms and the armature resistance is 0.3 Ohms. Calculate the armature current, speed and efficiency of the motor when the torque falls to half of its full-load value, assuming that flux per-pole does not change. These are ALL of the given values.
Relevant Equations
V = E + IaRa, P = I^2R
First some basic figures which are very rounded as I'm interested in the approach to the problem rather than accuracy of the answer at this stage:

The field current will be 500/220 = 2.2727 Amps, and so power is a fixed loss at 1136.36 Watts
The armature current is 45 - 2.2727 = 42.72 Amps. At full load, the power loss in the armature is 547 Watts. At no-load it's negligible at a couple of watts.

Calculate the armature current, speed and efficiency of the motor when the torque falls to half of its full-load value, assuming that flux per-pole does not change.

The question is exactly as it is posed, so I'm not sure if this suggests that half-load is half of the armature power or current, or half of the total power consumed by the machine under full load (which is 22.5kW and thus 11.25kW). I've made further calculations but is there something I've overlooked?

Physics news on Phys.org
anorlunda said:
Would you predict zero power at no load?
Was just checking that I'm on the right lines. So (approximate figures):

Field winding loss is fixed at 1136 Watts, where the current is 2.27 Amps.

Motor current at no-load is (5 - 2.27) = 2.73 Amps. Therefore, excluding the field winding current, we have 42.72 - 2.72 = 40 Amps in the armature, then divided by two (mid point / half-load) is 20 Amps, it being a linear relationship. With an armature current of 20 Amps, and a resistance of 0.3Ω, we have an energy loss of 120 Watts.

Now I'm a bit stuck because I'm not sure how to calculate the efficiency. I know it's the output power minus the losses divided by the input power, but if so, what is the input power at half? Is it 10kW or is it (500*45)/2 which is 11.25kW?

Thanks

What did that linked paper say about efficiency?

More important, if this is your homework, you must have covered the subject in the textbook or lectures. What did they say?

Unfortunately the notes only provide a single example which applies to a generator. No mention of half-load or motors.

I surprisingly got a rapid email reply from my tutor who confirmed that in this case, it was the armature current half way between no-load and full load.

Numbskull said:
I surprisingly got a rapid email reply from my tutor who confirmed that in this case, it was the armature current half way between no-load and full load.
OK, then you have two kinds of losses, Field losses which do not vary with load and armature losses which do vary with armature current.

Yes, I've got the answer with little effort to be honest. As far as I can see, the need to mention 20kW in the question appears immaterial, which is what confused me.

However, you have and another formulas such these:

Emf=ke*Φ*rpm/60

T=kT*Φ*Ia

where Ia=armature current and T=torque

And, of course, Pm=km.T.rpm/60 as output [on motor shaft] power.

Babadag said:
And, of course, Pm=km.T.rpm/60 as output [on motor shaft] power.
Unfortunately I am not provided with a number of motor parameters so am unable to use those formulas.

You don't have to know any parameter.Take this proportional only.

Told/Tnew=Iaold/Ianew

Eold=V-Ra*Iaold

Enew==V-Ra*Ianew

Eold/Enew=rpmold/rpmnew

Pmold/Pmnew=Told/Tnew*rpmold/rpmnew

Pinput=V*(Ia+Iex); eff=Pm/Pinput

Thank you Babadag. I'm on to the next part of the question now which asks what value resistor would need to be placed in the field circuit (in addition to the 220Ω) to increase the motor speed to 1000rpm with the same load torque.

I know that reducing the current in the field winding, and thus the flux, will increase the speed of the motor, I just have to figure out which equations to use to relate it all :confused:

If the load will be the same then E remains the same

First find ke*Φnew=E*60/RPMnew

Then ke*Φnew/ke*Φold=Iexnew/Iexold [field current]

What is the definition of DC motor efficiency?

DC motor efficiency is a measure of how well a DC motor converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It is calculated by dividing the mechanical output power by the electrical input power.

What factors affect the efficiency of a DC motor?

The efficiency of a DC motor is affected by several factors including the design of the motor, the materials used, the speed and load on the motor, and the quality of its components. Friction, resistance, and heat loss also play a role in determining the efficiency of a motor.

How can I improve the efficiency of a DC motor?

To improve the efficiency of a DC motor, you can use high-quality components, reduce friction and resistance, and optimize the design of the motor for its intended use. Regular maintenance and proper lubrication can also help improve the efficiency of a motor.

What is the relationship between DC motor speed and efficiency?

The speed of a DC motor is directly related to its efficiency. Generally, the higher the speed of the motor, the higher the efficiency. However, there is a maximum efficiency point for each motor, and operating the motor at higher speeds may cause a decrease in efficiency.

How do I calculate the speed of a DC motor?

The speed of a DC motor can be calculated using the formula W = (V-IaRa)/K, where W is the speed in rad/s, V is the voltage, Ia is the armature current, Ra is the armature resistance, and K is a constant specific to the motor's design. You can also use an encoder or tachometer to measure the speed of a motor directly.