1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induction Motor Problem, How to find Rc

1. Jun 4, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A three phase 220 V , 60 Hz, six poles 10 hp induction motor has the following circuit. Parameters on a per basis referred to the stator:
    Rs = 0.334 Ω,
    R’R = 0.147 Ω,
    Xs = 0.498 Ω
    X’R = 0.224 Ω ,
    Xm = 12.6 Ω
    The rotational losses including the core losses amount to 262 W and may be assumed constant. For a slip of 2.8 % determine (a) The line current and the power factor (b) The shaft torque and output horsepower (c) The efficiency

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    To get the line current, I need the equivalent impedance. But how do I get Rc (core resistance) ?, Is their a way to get it or is it just neglected because it is very large ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You're wondering how to involve this detail in your calculations?

4. Jun 5, 2016 #3
    For question a), it says determine the line current, so IL = Vphase/Z, but they haven't given Rc. They also said that the core losses and rotational losses amount to 262W

5. Jun 5, 2016 #4

NascentOxygen

Can you express these fixed losses as their equivalent in line current and then add that in after you have done the other calculations?

N.B., I'm not sure this is the accepted approach, but it seems a valid approximation.

6. Jun 5, 2016 #5
    Not sure how to do that, I have this equation

IL = Vphase/Zeq

Where Zeq would be the equivalent impedance of the circuit, but then I would have to neglect Rc

7. Jun 5, 2016 #6

NascentOxygen

Once you have taken account of Rc losses separately, you can then neglect Rc in the equivalent circuit. Which equivalent circuit are you using?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted