Inductive Loop Detectors at Hight Vehicle Speed

In summary, the inductive loop detectors use two techniques to detect a car; the traditional way is to drive an AC waveform into the loop and monitor the impedance, and the newer technology is just B-field sensors and detects the magnitude and direction of the Earth's magnetic field. If two of these sensors were a known distance apart, just one bit from each would be enough to make a speed measurement.
Neyolight
Hello Everyone

I am currently studying the inductive loop detectors used in the traffic control department. I believe the data from the detectors is highly unreliable and noisy. A lot of research has been going on on the 'Fault detecting algorithm' and other means to improve the accuracy of an ILD(Inductive Loop Detector).

My question is, How do these ILD detect a fast moving vehicle. Let's say a vehicle going at 100 km/hr on a motorway. It would go over a normal (4m x 4m or even smaller) inductive loop within FRACTION of seconds.

IDL works in the following way : ILD have a magnetic field around them---> incoming vehicle disturbers the magnetic field --> the ILD induces eddy currents into the conductor part of the vehicle --> thereby reducing its own inductance -->if this decrease in inductance crosses a threshold value, a call is made to the electronic unit and the vehicle presence is identified.

This is quite a LONG process. I fail to understand how all this can be done within FRACTION of seconds. Surely the conductor(vehicle) needs to be in the magnetic field (over loop) for 'some' time to be able to disturb the magnetic field PROPERLY.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEEEEE Can someone give me some tips on how ILD works in high speed environment ! Thanks !

Neyoligh

Engineering news on Phys.org
Neyolight said:
Hello Everyone

I am currently studying the inductive loop detectors used in the traffic control department. I believe the data from the detectors is highly unreliable and noisy. A lot of research has been going on on the 'Fault detecting algorithm' and other means to improve the accuracy of an ILD(Inductive Loop Detector).

My question is, How do these ILD detect a fast moving vehicle. Let's say a vehicle going at 100 km/hr on a motorway. It would go over a normal (4m x 4m or even smaller) inductive loop within FRACTION of seconds.

IDL works in the following way : ILD have a magnetic field around them---> incoming vehicle disturbers the magnetic field --> the ILD induces eddy currents into the conductor part of the vehicle --> thereby reducing its own inductance -->if this decrease in inductance crosses a threshold value, a call is made to the electronic unit and the vehicle presence is identified.

This is quite a LONG process. I fail to understand how all this can be done within FRACTION of seconds. Surely the conductor(vehicle) needs to be in the magnetic field (over loop) for 'some' time to be able to disturb the magnetic field PROPERLY.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASEEEEEEEE Can someone give me some tips on how ILD works in high speed environment ! Thanks !

Neyoligh

Welcome to the PF.

There are two techniques that are used that I am aware of for the detectors. The traditional way is to drive an AC waveform into the loop, and monitor the impedance of the loop. As a ferrous metal object moves over the loop, that alters the impedance, which the circuit detects as a vehicle.

For slow-moving vehicles or stopped vehicles (like the detectors at intersections), you could just use AC Mains frequency probably (50/60Hz). But as you say, for fast-moving vehicles on expressways, you would need to use a higher excitation frequency to be sure to get a few cycles of impedance change that your circuit could detect.

There is a newer detector technology that I learned about here on the PF. The sensors are just B-field sensors, and they detect the magnitude and direction of the Earth's magnetic field. That gets altered when a ferrous metal object is over them, which the circuit interprets as a vehicle. As long as the sensor and monitoring circuit have reasonable bandwidth, they can be used for fast-moving vehicles.

Unreliable in what sense? Do they say there is a car present when in fact there is none, or maybe they fail to register cars, perhaps both?

100km/hr = 27.8m/s. If I assume a car is more than 1m long then it will spend more than 36ms over the sensor. That could definitely be enough time to take a good measurement (that's more than the time of two 60Hz cycles) especially if you just want one bit (car present or not).

If two of these sensors were a known distance apart just one bit from each would be enough to make a speed measurement.

Thanks berkeman and es1

The issue I have with the loop is that it just does not detect fast moving vehicle. I don't know why is that. I would be doing some experiments with a real inductive loop myself shortly and hopefully will figure out the reason behind it. :)

1. What is an inductive loop detector?

An inductive loop detector is a type of sensor used to detect the presence of vehicles on roads or highways. It consists of a loop of wire embedded in the pavement and connected to an electronic control box.

2. How does an inductive loop detector work?

When a vehicle passes over the loop, it disrupts the electromagnetic field created by the loop, sending a signal to the control box. The control box then interprets this signal as the presence of a vehicle and triggers a response, such as a traffic light change or toll booth payment.

3. Can inductive loop detectors detect vehicles at high speeds?

Yes, inductive loop detectors are designed to detect vehicles at high speeds, typically up to 100 mph. However, the sensitivity and size of the loop may affect its ability to detect smaller vehicles at higher speeds.

4. What are the advantages of using inductive loop detectors at high vehicle speeds?

Inductive loop detectors are a cost-effective and reliable solution for detecting vehicles at high speeds. They can be easily installed and maintained, and have a long lifespan. They also provide real-time data on traffic flow, which can be used for traffic management and planning.

5. Are there any limitations to using inductive loop detectors at high vehicle speeds?

One limitation of inductive loop detectors at high speeds is their accuracy in detecting smaller vehicles. They may also be affected by external factors such as weather or debris on the road surface. Additionally, the positioning and sensitivity of the loop may need to be adjusted for optimal performance at high speeds.