1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductive proof for matrix multiplication problem

1. Sep 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute

[1 1]^n
    [ 1]

This is what my book has. I am assuming the blank means 0 (please tell me if this is not the case).

2. Relevant equations

None really (matrix multiplication)

3. The attempt at a solution

I did n = 1, 2, 3, 4 and found a patten. It looks like:

[1 1]^n
    [ 1]
    =
    [1 n]
    [ 1]

But how do I show that? Obviously showing it for a couple cases doesn't mean it's actually true. Inductively, I can show the n = 2 case is true. but I don't really know how to show the n+1 case is true other than write

[1 1]^n+1
    [ 1]
    =
    [1 n+1]
    [ 1]

but that seems a little unsatisfactory or like I'm skipping steps or something. How do you do it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Assume that the statement is true for an exponent of n. Then use this to show that the (n + 1)st power of your matrix produces the right value.

The blank means 0, I'm pretty sure.

4. Sep 15, 2009 #3
    Right. But how do you do that?

Letting n be the natural numbers and assuming the following statement is true

[1 1]^n
    [ 1]
    =
    [1 n]
    [ 1]

Thus,

[1 1]^n+1
    [ 1]
    =
    [1 n+1]
    [ 1]

I don't really know how to show it beyond that - is there some abstract way to write out the intermediate steps? As it is, it seems somewhat unsatisfactory.

5. Sep 16, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm putting the 0 in the lower left corner since it looks silly to leave it out.

[1 1]^(n+1)
    [0 1]

=
    [1 1]^n [1 1]
    [0 1] [0 1]

= ??
    This is where you use what you have assumed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook