Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inductor behavior connected directly to DC (no resistor)?

1. Oct 10, 2015 #1
    If an ideal inductor is connected directly (no resistor present) to a DC voltage source, why does it behave like a short-circuit at time t=0? If voltage across an inductor is related to the change in current (i.e. di/dt), then shouldn't the voltage across the inductor be very large at time t=0 because the current goes from zero to some value instantaneously (assume no resistor is series). This would imply that the inductor should act like an open-circuit at time t=0. Wouldn't the inductor oppose the initial current spike and prevent the initial current from flowing? I know that this is not true; however, I am trying to determine why not.

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

It is neither a short nor an open. Can you write the equation that relates the current through the inductor to the voltage across it?

4. Oct 10, 2015 #3
    berkeman - The equation is I(t) = Vc/R * (1-e^(-t*L/R)). Using the equation, I understand that the current becomes infinity (or indeterminate) when R=0. However, I am trying to understand what physically is happening. If R=0, does a magnetic field still form when current flows through an ideal conductor? Thanks.

5. Oct 10, 2015 #4

berkeman

I had a more fundamental equation in mind:

[tex]v(t) = L \frac{di(t)}{dt}[/tex]

That's the way I think about inductors. What happens when you apply a step voltage across an inductor?

BTW -- the current through the ideal inductor only becomes infinite in infinite time. It is a linear ramp from t=0 to whenever. And with real inductors, the current is limited by the inductor's series resistance (check the datasheets for this number) and the source voltage.

6. Oct 11, 2015 #5

meBigGuy

Gold Member

It is true and your thoughts to the contrary are incorrect. Why do you think the ideal inductor conducts at t=0? It starts with 0 current and ramps linearly while building a magnetic field.

What caused your mixup?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2015
  7. Oct 12, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Note to participants in this thread: please don't over-complicate the issue. The focus here is on an ideal inductor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook