1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Inductor leading lagging voltage-current

1. Apr 16, 2017 #1
    Trying to understand how in a conductor in an Ac circuit, the voltage leads the current.
    AS far as i read the voltage and the current max do not peak at the same time? Also because of lenz law the behavior of the coil resist the build up of the current so it takes time for a change in voltage to force a change in current?
    Any explanation will help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2017 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what education level are you ... you listed your thread as I for intermediate but your question indicates basic
    ... just so people can give you a good and relevant answer

for a start you can do some reading, there is tons of info online

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Induct...opResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=&pc=EUPP_

Dave

4. Apr 17, 2017 #3
    Did you by any chance mean "inductor" when you wrote conductor?

To actually answer your question, I must ask whether you know what a derivative is in math. Because what actually happens in an inductor/coil is that the voltage is proportional to the derivative of the current. Or stated the other way around, the current is proportional to the integral of the voltage.

That of course means, yes, the current "follows sluggishly" to the changes of an external voltage. Interestingly, it also means that cutting the wire in a circuit like that causes an huge voltage because the current is suddenly forced to zero, and the derivative of that sudden drop is very large.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted