Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Industrial grade positron formation

1. Jun 30, 2011 #1
    Is there any way to economically produce positrons using particle accelerators or any other method?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 30, 2011 #2
    Sure. Just irradiate some material ina particle accelerator that would become a positron emitter. Look up the process for creating F-18.

4. Jun 30, 2011 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The accelerators typically produce positrons by letting a beam of gamma rays strike a target. This creates electron-positron pairs, which are then separated and thermalized.

5. Jul 2, 2011 #4
    ok so is it possible to form positrons by bombarding electrons on a material (tungsten or lead - because of its high atomic no.)? because electrons on colliding with other electrons basically produce x rays which are basically low energy gamma raysso these gamma rays can produce positron electron pairs

6. Jul 2, 2011 #5

Bill_K

Science Advisor

Here's a report on a positron source that does it that way:

"Positrons are generated via pair creation when energetic electrons are stopped in a high-Z target, the electron-positron converter. These positrons are then moderated, i.e. slowed to thermal energies, via interaction with a suitable material such as tungsten, and a slow positron beam produced."

http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.1220

7. Jul 5, 2011 #6
    what would be the efficiency of this method?

8. Jul 5, 2011 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's in the paper that Bill_K pointed you to. It's even in the abstract. We can point you to papers, but you have to read them yourself.

9. Jul 5, 2011 #8

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Reading the thread title, my first question was
    So positrons come in different grades?

I'll take 36 industrial grade positrons and 204 consumer grade positrons if you please! ;)

10. Jul 5, 2011 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Prime, choice, select, standard, commercial, cutter and canner. (Mmmm...utility grade positrons)

And nuclei come in sizes small, medium, large, extra large, jumbo, giant, colossal and super colossal.

11. Jul 5, 2011 #10

jambaugh

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So that's the REAL reason for the "non commuting c-numbers"! It's a promotional gimmick!

SUPER-SIZE ME!

12. Jul 7, 2011 #11
    can any one express the efficiency in billi_k's link in terms of percentage?

13. Jul 7, 2011 #12

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm sure they can. Where are you getting stuck in the calculation?

14. Jul 7, 2011 #13
    ummm.. at the beginning the calculation was a bit complicated

15. Jul 7, 2011 #14

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Show us how far you got, please.

16. Jul 8, 2011 #15
    ok so the abstract said "For an electron beam energy of 5 MeV (10 MeV) and current 240 $\mu$A (30 $\mu$A) production of a slow positron beam of intensity 5 $\times$ 10$^{6}$ s$^{-1}$ is predicted. The simulation also calculates the average energy deposited in the converter per electron, allowing an estimate of the beam heating at a given electron energy and current. For low energy, high-current operation the maximum obtainable positron beam intensity will be limited by this beam heating."

however i could not get the SI unit so can anyone tell me the SI unit as well as the formula for converting this unit into percentage

17. Jul 18, 2011 #16
    Can any one tell me how many grams of positrons would be generated in one hour?

18. Jul 18, 2011 #17

xts

Skullcracker, if you know how many positrons are created in one second, then you know how many seconds are in one hour, and you know what is positron mass (if you don't - wiki it), then you should be able to answer your question yourself. If not, ask your 3rd grade primary school ma'am for help.

19. Jul 23, 2011 #18
    xts u dint get the question i wanted to know what 'production of a slow positron beam of intensity 5 $\times$ 10$^{6}$ s$^{-1}$ is predicted.'meant and i dont think third grade teachers would be teaching particle physics

20. Jul 23, 2011 #19

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

We're done here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook