Industrial grade positron formation

In summary, a positron source can be created by irradiating a material with a beam of gamma rays. The beam produces electron-positron pairs, which are then slowed down and moderated.
skullcracker
Is there any way to economically produce positrons using particle accelerators or any other method?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Just irradiate some material ina particle accelerator that would become a positron emitter. Look up the process for creating F-18.

The accelerators typically produce positrons by letting a beam of gamma rays strike a target. This creates electron-positron pairs, which are then separated and thermalized.

ok so is it possible to form positrons by bombarding electrons on a material (tungsten or lead - because of its high atomic no.)? because electrons on colliding with other electrons basically produce x rays which are basically low energy gamma raysso these gamma rays can produce positron electron pairs

Here's a report on a positron source that does it that way:

"Positrons are generated via pair creation when energetic electrons are stopped in a high-Z target, the electron-positron converter. These positrons are then moderated, i.e. slowed to thermal energies, via interaction with a suitable material such as tungsten, and a slow positron beam produced."

http://arxiv.org/abs/1102.1220

what would be the efficiency of this method?

It's in the paper that Bill_K pointed you to. It's even in the abstract. We can point you to papers, but you have to read them yourself.

Reading the thread title, my first question was
So positrons come in different grades?

I'll take 36 industrial grade positrons and 204 consumer grade positrons if you please! ;)

Prime, choice, select, standard, commercial, cutter and canner. (Mmmm...utility grade positrons)

And nuclei come in sizes small, medium, large, extra large, jumbo, giant, colossal and super colossal.

Vanadium 50 said:
...And nuclei come in sizes small, medium, large, extra large, jumbo, giant, colossal and super colossal.
So that's the REAL reason for the "non commuting c-numbers"! It's a promotional gimmick!

SUPER-SIZE ME!

can anyone express the efficiency in billi_k's link in terms of percentage?

I'm sure they can. Where are you getting stuck in the calculation?

ummm.. at the beginning the calculation was a bit complicated

Show us how far you got, please.

ok so the abstract said "For an electron beam energy of 5 MeV (10 MeV) and current 240 $\mu$A (30 $\mu$A) production of a slow positron beam of intensity 5 $\times$ 10$^{6}$ s$^{-1}$ is predicted. The simulation also calculates the average energy deposited in the converter per electron, allowing an estimate of the beam heating at a given electron energy and current. For low energy, high-current operation the maximum obtainable positron beam intensity will be limited by this beam heating."

however i could not get the SI unit so can anyone tell me the SI unit as well as the formula for converting this unit into percentage

Can anyone tell me how many grams of positrons would be generated in one hour?

skullcracker said:
production of a slow positron beam of intensity 5 $\times$ 10$^{6}$ s$^{-1}$ is predicted.
skullcracker said:
Can anyone tell me how many grams of positrons would be generated in one hour?
Skullcracker, if you know how many positrons are created in one second, then you know how many seconds are in one hour, and you know what is positron mass (if you don't - wiki it), then you should be able to answer your question yourself. If not, ask your 3rd grade primary school ma'am for help.

xts u dint get the question i wanted to know what 'production of a slow positron beam of intensity 5 $\times$ 10$^{6}$ s$^{-1}$ is predicted.'meant and i don't think third grade teachers would be teaching particle physics

We're done here.

What is industrial grade positron formation?

Industrial grade positron formation is the process of creating positrons, which are subatomic particles with the same mass as an electron but with a positive charge. This process is commonly used in industries such as medicine, materials science, and energy production.

How are positrons formed in an industrial setting?

Positrons can be formed in an industrial setting through the use of a positron generator, which utilizes a radioactive source to produce positrons. These positrons can then be trapped and used for various applications.

What are the applications of industrial grade positron formation?

Industrial grade positron formation has various applications, including materials testing, medical imaging, and energy production. Positrons can also be used in research to study the properties of materials and to understand the behavior of particles in high energy environments.

What are the advantages of using industrial grade positron formation?

One of the main advantages of industrial grade positron formation is that it allows for the production of large quantities of positrons in a controlled environment. This makes it easier and more efficient to use positrons for various applications, compared to other methods of positron production.

What are the safety precautions for working with industrial grade positron formation?

As with any application involving radioactive materials, there are strict safety precautions that must be followed when working with industrial grade positron formation. This includes proper training, handling procedures, and disposal methods to ensure the safety of workers and the environment.