1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I In PET scanners, why is a cyclotron used to make positrons?

1. Dec 20, 2017 #1
    Why could you not use a non-linear accelerator, like the LHC (but obviously nowhere as big)? Would it non be able to produce positrons more quickly because it can obtain larger fractions of the speed of light in a smaller period of time?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2017 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

I don't understand your question. A cyclotron is a non-linear accelerator, like the LHC but much smaller. The particles travel in a spiral path.

4. Dec 20, 2017 #3

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Not only the confusing question brought up by @phyzguy, but cyclotrons are not used in a PET scan to "make positrons". Positrons are produced by tracers (radioactive nuclei) that are injector or digested. These positrons do not come from cyclotrons.

So that first post is full of unicorns.

Zz.

5. Dec 22, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

However, it should be mentioned that the tracers often are relatively short-lived and need to be produced on-site (such as fluorine-18 with a half-life of just below 2 hours). The usual way of doing so is to use a cyclotron so, in a sense, the cyclotron is used indirectly to "make positrons" by creating the positron emitters.

Clearly it would not be viable to have a LHC-size accelerator near every hospital as would be required (again, due to the short half-lives involved). A smaller cyclotron works perfectly well for the purpose.

6. Dec 22, 2017 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The TRACERS may be produced in an accelerator, but not the POSITRONS for PET scans, which is the premise of the OP in the title.

Zz.

7. Dec 22, 2017 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Which is just what I said. I was essentially tracing down where the OP may have gotten the idea.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted