Inelastic collision between two footballs players on ice

In summary, two retired American football players, William 'Refrigerator' Perry and Doug Flutie, were sliding on a frictionless ice-covered parking lot due to bad weather in Cleveland. When they met, they grabbed each other and hung on. Their velocity immediately after the collision was 1.273 m/s. The fraction of their original kinetic energy that was still mechanical energy after the collision was a small percentage. The final mechanical energy was a small percentage of the initial kinetic energy.
irishbob

Homework Statement

An American football game has been canceled because of bad weather in Cleveland, and two retired players are sliding like children on a frictionless ice-covered parking lot. William 'Refrigerator' Perry, mass 162 kg, is gliding to the right at 7.41 m/s, and Doug Flutie, mass 81.0 kg, is gliding to the left at 11.0 m/s along the same line. When they meet, they grab each other and hang on.
(a) What is their velocity immediately thereafter?
1.273 m/s

(b) What fraction of their original kinetic energy is still mechanical energy after their collision?

Homework Equations

KE_i=KE_f*c? This is kind of my issue.
KE_i is initial kinetic energy, KE_f is final kinetic energy, and c is a constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm trying for the fraction of the energy:
Sum(KE_i)=0.5*162kg(7.41m/s)^2 + 0.5(81kg)(-11m/s)^2
=9348.0561=.5(162+81)kg(1.273m/s)^2c=KE_f*c
So I solved for c and got 6.890. Problem is, I have no idea what to do with it. Am I approaching this the right way?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are getting the wrong answer due to your math and partly due to your approach. How did you get c=6.89? Anyway, what is the final mechanical energy (without any constant)? What is the initial kinetic energy? The final mechanical energy is a small percentage of the initial kinetic energy.

Got the correct answer. Thanks! I don't know why I was doing it that way.

OK, and welcome to Physics Forums!:cool:

Thanks! :smile:
I'm a long time lurker, first time poster.

What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision occurs when two objects collide and stick together, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy.

How does friction affect the collision between two football players on ice?

Friction plays a significant role in inelastic collisions between football players on ice. The presence of friction causes a loss of kinetic energy, resulting in a decrease in the speed of the players after the collision.

What factors can affect the outcome of an inelastic collision between two football players on ice?

The mass and velocity of the players, as well as the surface and environmental conditions of the ice, can all affect the outcome of an inelastic collision between two football players. These factors determine the amount of kinetic energy lost during the collision.

How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision between two football players on ice, momentum is conserved. This means that the total momentum of the players before and after the collision remains the same, even though kinetic energy is lost.

Can two objects with different masses have an inelastic collision?

Yes, two objects with different masses can have an inelastic collision. The mass of the objects will affect the outcome of the collision, with the more massive object experiencing less change in velocity compared to the less massive object.