1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequalities, trigonometric and x exponent.

1. Oct 30, 2013 #1
    These are the two last problems I'll bother you with for a short while (I love this forum, I'll definitely stay on and hopefully be able to contribute in the future).

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem 1:
    (##-x^2##-1)sin2x > 0 , xe[0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]]

Problem 2:
    ##2^{-x^2+x+2}## < 4

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first problem:

(##-x^2##-1)sin2x > 0 , xe[0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]]

Since x is an element within a positive boundary, can I write the problem as:

sin(2x) ≤ 0

Why, or why not?

Other than that, I need to refresh my knowledge on solving inequalities.

Any help or input is appreciated while I attempt to gather more info.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your first inequality can be rewritten as -(x2 + 1)sin(2x) ≥ 0, or
    (x2 + 1)sin(2x) ≤ 0

Since x2 + 1 ≥ 1 for all real x, it can never be zero or negative. If you divide both sides of the inequality by x2 + 1, and the direction of the inequality won't change. That gets you to the inequality you wrote.

BTW, your mix of LaTeX and HTML tags threw me off for a bit. In LaTeX use leq for ≤. Using the U (underscore) HTML tag under a < symbol confused me for a bit.

You can also click Go Advanced to see a table of quick symbols off to the right. It has Greek letters and symbols such as ≤, ≥, ≠, ∞, and several others.

4. Oct 30, 2013 #3
    But how do I go from sin2x ≤ 0 to something like x = [itex]\pi[/itex] + n [itex]\pi[/itex]/2? This is just something random I wrote down, but hopefully you get the idea.

Where do I even look to find the solution for this?

Also, in respect to my 2nd inequality. I don't know where I should look for tips on how to solve it. My book says absolutely nothing about inequality in this regard. It might sound lazy, but I've looked. I suspect I'm supposed to remember this from pre-calculus math but it's as unfortunate as it's obvious - I don't.

Sorry I'm not able to make more progress before posting again. Again, thanks for all your help and any input is greatly appreciated.
    I'm sorry, I didn't know it mattered as I can't see any visual difference, but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

5. Oct 30, 2013 #4

Mark44

You're not going to get x = ... as the solution to sin(2x) ≤ 0. The simplest way is to sketch a quick graph of y = sin(2x) and note the intervals where the graph touches or goes below the x-axis.

For your second problem, which is
    $$2^{-x^2 + x + 2} < 4$$

Note the 4 = 22, so then you have
    $$2^{-x^2 + x + 2} < 2^2$$

Since y = 2x is a strictly increasing function, if 2A < 2B, then A < B.

6. Oct 30, 2013 #5

Mark44

This was in reference to what I said about using the canned symbols ≤ rather than [ U]<[/ U]; i.e., coming up with your own way to write ≤. A lot of us here at PF will "quote" your post, which means that we're looking at the LaTeX and/or HTML markup, instead of how the post actually appears in the browser, so your ≤ actually seemed to me at first to be <, which was why I was confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted