1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality from Stirling's formula

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I don't see how to navigate to page 17 in that link. (I'm not enthusiastic about how the interface to Google books behaves on my browser and internet connection. It seems darn slow and tedious.) You'd best type out your question.

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    Thank you for writing back.

The inequality is

n is even
    C(n,n/2)/2^(n+1) > 1/(2*sqrt(n)).

"Sharp form fo Stirling's inequality" is

sqrt(2*pi*k) * k^k * e^-k < k! < sqrt(2*pi*k) * k^k * e^-k * (1+1/(4*k))

Is it right? Tried with 4.

With Google books, by clicking on the book in the upper left hand corner, it will appear big on the screen and you can click on the big image and page up and down.
    Think I'm missing something here.

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I'm missing all pages after page 15. It does say "some pages are omitted from the preview".

[tex] \frac{ \binom{n}{n/2}}{2^{n+1}} > \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n}} [/tex]

[tex] (\sqrt{2 \pi k}) k^k e^{-k} < k! < (\sqrt{2 \pi k}) k^k e^{-k } (1+\frac{1}{ 4k} ) [/tex]

Is what right? Do you mean that you used k = 4 or n = 4 ?

6. Oct 31, 2011 #5
    Sorry, n.
    I tried it with 4 and it seemed not to hold, the inequality. Tried with 2 and same problem.

7. Oct 31, 2011 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

This inequality is not correct:
    [tex] \frac{ \binom{n}{n/2}}{2^{n+1}} > \frac{1}{2 \sqrt{n}} [/tex]

Assuming the inequality
    [tex] (\sqrt{2 \pi k}) k^k e^{-k} < k! < (\sqrt{2 \pi k}) k^k e^{-k } (1+\frac{1}{ 4k} ) [/tex]

the only similar inequality that I see is:

[tex] \frac{ \binom{n}{n/2}}{(1 + \frac{1}{2n})^2} > \frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{\pi n}} > \frac{1}{\sqrt{2n}} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook