1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inequality involving positive definite operator

1. Feb 20, 2009 #1
    Given that [tex]|\langle f|g\rangle|^2 \leqslant \langle f|f\rangle\langle g|g\rangle[/tex]
    prove that [tex]|\langle f|H|g\rangle|^2 \leqslant \langle f|H|f\rangle \langle g|H|g\rangle[/tex]
    where [tex]H[/tex] is a Hermitian and positive definite operator.

3. I tried to identify [tex]H|g\rangle[/tex] as a state and put it into the given inequality, but not so help.

Is there any ideas to prove this inequality? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2009 #2
    How about trying sqrt(H)?

You will also need to think about the conditions H should meet for its square root to exist.

4. Feb 20, 2009 #3
    Thank you so much!!
    I got it, and in this way, Hermitian and positive definite properties are both used.
    Thanks!

5. Feb 20, 2009 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The problem is kind of silly to begin with. If you can show that

[tex]\langle \cdot | H | \cdot \rangle[/tex]

satisfies the defining properties of an inner product:

1. Positive definite,

2. Linear on second slot,

3. Conjugate-linear on first slot,

then the expression automatically obeys the Schwartz inequality, because the Schwartz inequality is true of inner products in general.

6. Feb 20, 2009 #5

Well, you are right. I keep forget that an inner product doesn't always have to be what we usually consider as 'the inner product'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook