Inequality proof: how many ways are there a1 =< =< ak =< n?

In summary, there are an infinite number of ways to arrange n integers in a line, each arrangement resulting from a choice of a1...ak.
ptolema

Homework Statement

Let k and n be positive integers. In how many ways are there integers a1≤ a2≤ ... ≤ ak≤ n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to begin. Simply using permutations doesn't seem to work. I know that for a1, there are n integers to choose from. For the next number, there are 1 + (n-a1) integers to choose from. I'm reasonable sure that I can generalise this to say that for ak, there are 1+(n-ak-1) integers to choose from. From that point, I'm afraid I'm lost as to where to go with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
well deciding on a set with a1≤ a2≤ ... ≤ ak≤ n effectively partitions n integers into k+1 groups, preserving order, so maybe you could see if you can figure how many ways there is to form k+1 partitions from n objects

lanedance said:
well deciding on a set with a1≤ a2≤ ... ≤ ak≤ n effectively partitions n integers into k+1 groups, preserving order, so maybe you could see if you can figure how many ways there is to form k+1 partitions from n objects

So you're saying that n integers have been partitioned into (k+1) element groups, just to be clear? Would it be nCk+1, then? Or rather, since the sets are ordered, nPk+1? Is it assumed that the set {a1, a2, ..., ak, n} may not have all distinct elements?

Try to put some reasoning behind your arguments, rather than just throwing expressions. I haven't done the work so can't just tick a box, just trying to guide your thinking..

Another good way to start that may help is always to try a simple example, pick say n=5 and k=2. Now consider the ways to arrange 2 x's and 3 o's, how many different arrangements are there? Can you relate that to the problem at hand and are there any combinations that don't line up with the question?

There seems to be a piece of information missing. can't just be integers since that allows negatives, and there'd be an infinity of solutions. So should we assume a1 >= 0 or a1 >= 1?
lanedance's suggestion is good, but there's a trick to solving that. Imagine the integers 1 to n in a line. Insert markers into the line to show where the ai are: the first marker lies to the right of a1 and left of a1+1; second marker lies to the right of a2 (and to the right of the first marker if a1=a2), and to the left of a2+1, etc.
Does each choice of a1...ak lead to a different arrangement of markers? And vice versa?

1. How can inequality proofs be applied in real-world situations?

Inequality proofs can be applied in various fields such as economics, sociology, and mathematics. They are used to analyze patterns and trends in data, make predictions, and test hypotheses. For example, in economics, inequality proofs can be used to study income distribution among different groups of people.

2. What are the basic principles of inequality proofs?

The basic principles of inequality proofs include the transitive property, which states that if a < b and b < c, then a < c, and the addition and multiplication properties, which state that if a < b, then a + c < b + c and ac < bc (for positive values of c).

3. How can I prove that a1 =< a2 =< ... =< ak =< n using mathematical induction?

To prove this statement using mathematical induction, you would first show that it is true for the base case, k = 1. Then, you would assume that it is true for some arbitrary value of k and use this assumption to prove that it is also true for k + 1. This would show that the statement is true for all values of k, including k = n.

4. Can inequality proofs be solved using algebraic equations?

Yes, inequality proofs can be solved using algebraic equations. In fact, algebraic equations are often used to manipulate and simplify inequalities in order to prove a statement. However, other methods such as mathematical induction or direct proof may also be used depending on the specific problem.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when working with inequality proofs?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with inequality proofs include incorrectly applying the properties of inequalities, assuming that a statement is true without proper justification, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to carefully follow the rules and principles of inequality proofs and double-check calculations to avoid these mistakes.