Are There Infinitely Many Prime Numbers Written as ak+b?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that there are infinitely many prime numbers written in the form ##ak+b##, with ##a,b,k## being integers greater than 1. The proof involves using contradiction and exploring different cases, eventually leading to the conclusion that there are infinitely many primes of this form. It is also mentioned that this proof requires some difficult analytic number theory and that the result is only true if ##\text{gcd}(a,b)=1##.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Prove that there are infinitely many prime numbers written ##ak+b##, with ##a,b,k## integers greater than 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please could you tell me if you agree with that proof ?

By contradiction:
Assume that there is an integer ##k## such that ##ak+b## is the greatest prime number of that sort. Then for any ##n > k##, there are ##(u,v)\in \mathbb{N}^\star## such that ##an+b = uv ##. Take ##n = k + u ##, therefore ## ak + b = u (v-a) ##, which contradicts the fact that ##ak+b## is prime.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now you basically "proved" that any ##an+b## where ##n>k##is prime.

Oh ok I see my mistake, I can't chose ##n## once ##u## is set. Thank you, I'll try something else

I haven't made much progress on this one...
I can show that there are infinitely many primes written ## ak + 1 ##, ##a## even. If you assume that ## ak_0 + 1 ## is the greatest prime, then ## N = a (ak_0+1)! + 1 ## is compound and has a prime divisor ##p## that must be less than ## a (ak_0 + 1)! ##. In that case, ## p## divides ##N## and ##a(ak_0+1)!##, so it divides 1. contradiction.

Why must ##p## divide ##a(ak_0+1)##?

if ##p## is less than ##a(ak_0+1)!## it divides it

Oh no it doesn't work !
I don't know, this problem is too hard for me

geoffrey159 said:
I don't know, this problem is too hard for me

The proof usually requires some fairly difficult analytic number theory. (And the result is only true if ##\text{gcd}(a,b)=1##).

Likes geoffrey159
Thank you for the info.
The one line problem statement looked harmless at first, but I literally lost my time with this problem ;-)

geoffrey159 said:
I haven't made much progress on this one...
I can show that there are infinitely many primes written ## ak + 1 ##, ##a## even. If you assume that ## ak_0 + 1 ## is the greatest prime, then ## N = a (ak_0+1)! + 1 ## is compound and has a prime divisor ##p## that must be less than ## a (ak_0 + 1)! ##. In that case, ## p## divides ##N## and ##a(ak_0+1)!##, so it divides 1. contradiction.

@micromass:
I'm sorry to bother you again, but I think the same idea would work just fine with ## N = (ak_0 +1)! +1 ##, because one can factorize ##a## out of the factorial so that N belongs to the set ##\{ ak+1 , k\ge 1 \}##. Right ?

OK, ##N## is of the form ##ak+1##. So how does that prove anything?

If you assume that ##ak_0 +1## is the greatest prime of the form ##ak+1##, then ##N## which also has the form ##ak+1## and is greater than ##ak_0 + 1 ## must be compound. So there is a prime number ##p## that divides ##N## and that is not equal to ##N##.
But we must have ##p \le N-1 = (ak_0 +1)! ##. In that case ##p## is a factor in ##(ak_0 +1)!##, so that it divides it. But ##p | N ## and ##p| (ak_0+1)! ## implies that ##p | 1##, which is impossible for a prime number. Therefore ##N## is prime and there are infinitely many primes of the form ##ak+1##

Why would ##p## be a factor in ##(ak_0 +1)!##

Because it is smaller than it

##5## is smaller than ##3!## and doesn't divide it.

OOOOOOOOOK, I get it :-)

@micromass
I was completely wrong, ##N## and ## (ak_0 +1)! ## are relatively prime (Bezout), and ## p | N ## so ##p## and ##(ak_0+1)!## are relatively prime. Which is the same as saying that ##p## does not divide ##(ak_0+1)!##

What are prime numbers?

Prime numbers are positive integers that are divisible by only 1 and themselves. They have exactly two factors, and cannot be divided evenly by any other number.

How do I determine if a number is prime?

One way to determine if a number is prime is to divide it by every number from 2 to its square root. If there is no remainder in any of the divisions, then the number is prime. Another method is to use the Sieve of Eratosthenes, which involves creating a list of numbers and crossing out multiples until only prime numbers remain.

What is the largest known prime number?

As of 2021, the largest known prime number is 2^82,589,933 − 1, which has over 24 million digits. This number was discovered in December 2018.

Are there an infinite number of prime numbers?

Yes, there are an infinite number of prime numbers. This was first proved by the ancient Greek mathematician Euclid in his book "Elements."

What are some real-world applications of prime numbers?

Prime numbers have various applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. They are used in encryption algorithms to secure data, in generating random numbers, and in identifying patterns in nature and the universe.