Why is moment of inertia r=3 and not half the diagonal?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
Hanin
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Member advised to use the provided formatting template when starting a new thread in a homework forum.
Hi, in the following problem, I need to find the inertia of the system. The axis of rotation passes through the center of mass ( the pink dot). I understand that I will be equal to 4(mr^2). However, I do not understand why r= 3 (6 divided by 2) and not sqrt13 ( half of the diagonal of the rectangle).

upload_2017-12-8_20-27-53.png

 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-12-8_20-27-53.png
    upload_2017-12-8_20-27-53.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 507
Physics news on Phys.org
Review your definitions. r is the perpendicular distance from the mass to the axis of rotation, which is that entire line through the center, not the distance from the mass to the point in the center.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Abhishek kumar and Hanin