Inertia tensor combination point mass-sphere

In summary: Oh yes of course, i think now i get it. Because the center of mass is in the 3-axis there is no contribution of it on I33 ! Thanks for your time and explanations.
lilphy

Homework Statement

hello,
i want to calculate the inertia tensor of the combination of a point mass and a sphere in the object's frame, the center of mass is at the origin. The point mass remains at the surface of the phere
The sphere is uniform, radius r and mass M, and the point mass has mass aM.
My sphere is centered at the origin χ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The inertia tensor of a sphere of radius R and mass M is known
I did all the work of finding the distance to the center of mass of the system to the origin, the inertia tensor of the sphere about the center of mass of the system sphere-particle.
Now i have to find the tensor of inertia of the point mass about the centre of the sphere, I found this formula :
Iij=dm(δij r2-rirj)
So I got these values for Iij:
I11=I22=I33= aMR2
And all the other values are = to -aMR2
Is this correct ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not correct. I suggest you select a coordinate system such that the point mass is located at ##\vec r = R\vec e_3##. You can later rotate this to the appropriate frame as necessary.

Orodruin said:
No, it is not correct. I suggest you select a coordinate system such that the point mass is located at ##\vec r = R\vec e_3##. You can later rotate this to the appropriate frame as necessary.
So there is no component in e1 and e2, all the values not in the diagonal are 0
And I will get I11= I22= aM r2 and I33=0 ?

lilphy said:
So there is no component in e1 and e2, all the values not in the diagonal are 0
And I will get I11= I22= aM r2 and I33=0 ?
Yes. If you have a more general position vector it is going to depend on the actual components of it. You should also take some time to think about why your result is reasonable, i.e., why I33 is zero and I22 = I11.

Orodruin said:
Yes. If you have a more general position vector it is going to depend on the actual components of it. You should also take some time to think about why your result is reasonable, i.e., why I33 is zero and I22 = I11.
There is something I don't understand. When we calculate the total tensor of the moment of inertia, the Itot_33of the system point mass-sohere is equal to Isphere_33 in the center of mass. I don't understand why ?

lilphy said:
There is something I don't understand. When we calculate the total tensor of the moment of inertia, the Itot_33of the system point mass-sohere is equal to Isphere_33 in the center of mass. I don't understand why ?

What is the inertia of the point mass if it is situated on the axis of rotation?

Orodruin said:
What is the inertia of the point mass if it is situated on the axis of rotation?
The inertia is mR^2 with R the distance to the rotation axis, so it would be 0 ?

lilphy said:
The inertia is mR^2 with R the distance to the rotation axis, so it would be 0 ?
Exactly. So what is its contribution to the total inertia if you rotate about the 3-axis? What is the contribution of the sphere?

Orodruin said:
Exactly. So what is its contribution to the total inertia if you rotate about the 3-axis? What is the contribution of the sphere?
Oh right we will only have the contribution of the sphere, the inertia about the center of mass of the system is 2/5MR^2+Md2 with d the distance to the center of mass that is = Ra/(1+a)

lilphy said:
Oh right we will only have the contribution of the sphere, the inertia about the center of mass of the system is 2/5MR^2+Md2 with d the distance to the center of mass that is = Ra/(1+a)
d should be the orthogonal distance relative to the axis of rotation. If you are rotating around the 3-axis, this distance is also zero.

Orodruin said:
d should be the orthogonal distance relative to the axis of rotation. If you are rotating around the 3-axis, this distance is also zero.
Oh yes of course, i think now i get it. Because the center of mass is in the 3-axis there is no contribution of it on I33 ! Thanks for your time and explanations

1. What is an inertia tensor?

An inertia tensor is a mathematical representation of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is a 3x3 matrix that describes how an object's mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.

2. What is a point mass?

A point mass is an idealized concept in physics where an object is treated as having all of its mass concentrated at a single point. This is useful for simplifying calculations involving objects with uniform mass distribution.

3. What is a sphere?

A sphere is a three-dimensional geometrical object that is perfectly round in shape. It is defined as the set of all points in three-dimensional space that are equidistant from a given center point.

4. How is the inertia tensor calculated for a combination of a point mass and sphere?

The inertia tensor for this combination can be calculated by adding the individual inertia tensors of the point mass and sphere. The inertia tensor for a point mass is a diagonal matrix with the mass value repeated along the diagonal. The inertia tensor for a sphere can be calculated using its mass and radius values.

5. What is the significance of the inertia tensor combination for a point mass and sphere?

The inertia tensor combination for a point mass and sphere allows us to understand how the mass and shape of an object affect its rotational motion. It helps us to determine an object's moment of inertia, which is a key factor in understanding its stability and how it will respond to external forces.