Infimum calculation bizarre for me

• Thread starter julypraise
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, you are trying to find a_0 such that d(x,a_0) <= d(x,A). But you are stuck because you cannot use the continuity of the function a\mapsto d(x,a) defined on the closure of A. You may be able to use another continuity condition to get to a_0. You also need to think about how to represent the closure of A in terms of Cl(A).
julypraise

Homework Statement

Could you please check the following calculation is right?

Let X be a metric space, and A its nonempty subset.

Define [itex]\inf_{a \in A} d(x,a) = d(x,A) [/itex] for any x in X

We have the following facts (don't have to check this)

If [itex]a[/itex] is in the closure of [itex]A[/itex] then d(a,A)=0.

So my calculuation is as follows. Let x be in X and a_0 be in the closure of A

Then

[itex] d(x,a_{0}) \leq \inf_{a\in A} \{ d(x,a) + d(a,a_{0}) \} = \inf_{a\in A}d(x,a) + \inf_{a\in A}d(a,a_{0}) = d(x,A)[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The calculation looks somehow right (probably because of my bad). I have to show the existence of such a_0. In R^2 dimension, I can draw this and get it, but such a point a_0 is not arbitrary in that case whereas the a_0 in my calculation is arbitrary and works fine which is very stupid...

Probably the equality made in the mid is not right... But if it is not right, how can I show the existence of such a_0?

Physics news on Phys.org
The last step of your calculation is not correct, and anyway, that approach is not the way you want to proceed.

Instead, you need to use the fact that a_0 lies in the closure of A. Write down as many equivalent definitions you can of a_0 being in the closure of A. One of them will be what you should use.

Ayre said:
The last step of your calculation is not correct, and anyway, that approach is not the way you want to proceed.

Instead, you need to use the fact that a_0 lies in the closure of A. Write down as many equivalent definitions you can of a_0 being in the closure of A. One of them will be what you should use.

Thank you very much, I will do that. But if I may aks you, what exactly do you refer to by the last step?

you mean the last equality, I guess?

julypraise said:
you mean the last equality, I guess?

Yes. I mean, if you assume the result you're trying to prove, then that equality is correct. But, of course, you're not allowed to assume what you're trying to prove.

Ayre said:
Yes. I mean, if you assume the result you're trying to prove, then that equality is correct. But, of course, you're not allowed to assume what you're trying to prove.

Hey, sorry but I'm not sure what you are talking abt.

The thing that if a is in the closure of A then d(a,A)=0 is right.

But I'm trying to prove for arbitrary x in X there exists a_0 in the closure of A

such that d(x,a_0) <= d(x,A). But I'm stuck...

julypraise said:
Hey, sorry but I'm not sure what you are talking abt.

The thing that if a is in the closure of A then d(a,A)=0 is right.

But I'm trying to prove for arbitrary x in X there exists a_0 in the closure of A

such that d(x,a_0) <= d(x,A). But I'm stuck...

I'm very sorry. I misread your question, I thought you were trying to show that d(a,A)=0 for a in the closure of A.

But your calculation is still not correct. The formula

[tex]\inf_{a\in A} (d(x,a) + d(a,a_0)) = \inf_{a\in A}d(x,a) + \inf_{a\in A} d(a,a_0)\text,[/tex]

which you are using, does not hold.

Instead, to find an a_0, start by taking a sequence a_n in a such that

[tex]d(x, a_n) \rightarrow d(x, A)\text,[/tex]

and showing that it converges.

Again, apologies for misreading your question. Please ignore everything I said in the earlier posts.

Oh no worries; apology well taken.

And yes, that part is wrong I see.

Okay, I think the sequence is a very good idea.

So if I solve it right now,

letting x be arbitrary in X

observe for every n in N (the set of natural numbers)

there exists a number a(n) in [itex] \{ d(x,a) \mid a \in A \}[/itex] such that

d(x,A) = inf{...} <= a(n) < d(x,A) + 1/n.

Then a(n) = d(x,a'(n)) for some a'(n) in A.

Then it is obvious the sequence (a(n)) = (d(x,a'(n))) converges to d(x,A).

We let a_n := a'(n). By this we construct a sequence (a_n) in A.

Now I'm kinda stuck here again. I know a function [itex] a\mapsto d(x,a)[/itex] defined on the closure of A is continuous, but cannot use it here. I've tried to use this continuity like

[itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} d(x,a_{n}) = d(x, \lim_{n \to \infty} a_{n}) [/itex],

but this holds if we already know a_n converges to some a_0 in the colsure of of A
Another attempt is that

d(x,a_n) converges to a point in the closure of {d(x,a) | a in A}

But is it going to be Cl({d(x,a) | a in A}) = {d(x,a) | a in Cl(A)}??

Need to check..

Let me rephase that. The sequence a_n will not really converge, but a subsequence does. What properties do you know that guarantee that sequences have convergent subsequences?

(I realize now that this solution method will be slightly roundabout. Perhaps you can see how to simplify it later.)

I know Bolzano-Weierstrass thm in R^k. But A is a subspace of a general metric space,
so I don't think I can use it...

It just reminds me now that

actually in a general space it may be possible that such a point a_0 may not exist,

and for such a_0 to exist, I think it is necessary that A is compact.

In this case I define a function f_x

[itex] f_x:A \to \mathbb{R}: a \mapsto d(x,a) [/itex].

Then since d is continuous (and also the restircted d|_A), this function f will be continuous too.

Thus if I use Weierstrass thm,

I get inff(A) is in f(A), which was what I longed to get.

1. What is an infimum calculation?

An infimum calculation is a mathematical process used to find the greatest lower bound (infimum) of a set of numbers or values. It is similar to finding the minimum value, but the infimum may not always be included in the set of values being calculated.

2. Why is the infimum calculation considered bizarre?

The infimum calculation can be considered bizarre because it is not a commonly used mathematical concept and may seem confusing or abstract to those who are not familiar with it. It also involves some counterintuitive results, such as the infimum being a value that is not actually included in the set of numbers being calculated.

3. How is the infimum calculated?

The infimum is typically calculated by finding the set of all lower bounds for a given set of numbers, and then selecting the greatest value from that set. In other words, the infimum is the largest number that is still smaller than or equal to all the numbers in the original set.

4. What is the difference between infimum and minimum?

The main difference between infimum and minimum is that the minimum is always a part of the set of numbers being calculated, while the infimum may or may not be included. Additionally, the minimum value is the smallest number in the set, while the infimum is the greatest lower bound.

5. In what fields is the infimum calculation commonly used?

The infimum calculation is commonly used in fields such as real analysis, topology, and measure theory. It is also frequently used in computer science and optimization problems, as well as in economics and finance to determine the best possible outcome or solution.