1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite dimensional counterexample

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let V be a finite dimensional vector space and let W be a subspace of V.
    1. Then V is the direct sum of W and W' where W' denotes the orthogonal complement of W.
    2. Also, (W')' = W, i.e the orthogonal complement of the orthgonal complement of W is
    again W.

My question is, what happens if we drop the condition that V is finite dimensional, would
    the results would be still valid? what happens with condition 1 and 2??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Part of the problem here is that "orthogonality" depends on the specific inner product and there is no "natural" inner product on infinite dimensional vector spaces. Are you assuming a specific inner product and, if so, what?

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    Sorry, I accidentally clicked on report.

I read somewhere in the web that l^2(N) is such counterexample where l^2(N) is the set of all sequences of real numbers (x_1, x_2,...) such that
    sum( x_i^2 , i=1 to infinity) < infinity.

But I don't know which subspace of l^2(N) should I consider to find where the properties fail.

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'll give you a simpler example. Let V be the space of all continuous functions on [0,1]. Define the inner product <f,g> to be the integral of f*g over [0,1]. Let W be the subspace of all functions such that f(0)=0. The only element of W' is f=0. V obviously isn't equal to the direct sum of W and W'. They don't even span V.

6. Dec 12, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the case of I^2(N), take W to be the subspace of all sequences with only a finite number of elements nonzero. Both of these examples have a common elements. You have a proper subspace W that is dense in V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?