Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series by integration by parts

1. Aug 4, 2009 #1

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Hi, I wonder if this hypothesis is true:

Let [tex]f_n[/tex] be an arbitrarily chosen n'th anti-derivative of the function [tex]f_0[/tex]. Similarly, let [tex]g_n[/tex] be the n'th derivative of the function [tex]g_0[/tex].

Now, [tex]\int^b_a f_0 g_0 \rm{d}x=[f_1g_0]^b_a-\int^b_a f_1g_1 \rm{d}x=[f_1g_0-f_2g_1+...]^b_a+(-1)^n \int^b_a f_{n+1}g_n \rm{d}x[/tex].

hypothesis:

If [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} f_{n+1}g_n =0[/tex] for all continous intervals of and never diverges. Then

[tex]\int^b_a f_0 g_0 \rm{d}x = [\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} (-1)^n f_{n+1}g_n]^b_a[/tex]

This seems intuitively correct, but I wonder how to prove it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2009 #2
    I'm thinking Mean Value Theorem. The integral equals [tex]\epsilon(b-a)(f_{n+1}g_n)|_{x=c}[/tex] for some c in the interval [a, b] and [tex]0 \leq \epsilon \leq 1[/tex] which approaches zero.

4. Aug 4, 2009 #3

disregardthat

Science Advisor

this was double post, sorry

5. Aug 4, 2009 #4

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Excellent, thank you.

We have by induction that

[tex]\int^b_a f_0g_0 \rm{d}x = [\sum^{n-1}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a+(-1)^n\int^b_af_{n+1}g_n \rm{d}x=[\sum^{n-1}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a+(b-a)(f_{n+1} \circ g_n)(t)[/tex]

For some [tex]t \in [a,b][/tex], and any non-negative integer n.

However, [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} (f_{n+1} \circ g_{n} )(t)=0[/tex] is given, so

[tex]\int^b_a f_0g_0 \rm{d}x = \lim_{n \to \infty} \int^b_a f_0g_0 \rm{d}x= \lim_{n \to \infty} [\sum^{n-1}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a+(-1)^n\int^b_af_{n+1}g_n \rm{d}x=\lim_{n \to \infty}[\sum^{n-1}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a+(b-a)(f_{n+1} \circ g_n)(t)=[\sum^{\infty}_{k=0} (-1)^kf_{k+1}g_{k}]^b_a[/tex]

But this is not so obvious if [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} (f_{n+1} \circ g_{n} )(t)[/tex] not always equal 0 i.e. is finite for discrete values of x, or if either of the limits are infinite. Can someone help me there?

Perhaps if the limits are infinite, we can let n tend towards infinity at a rate which make [tex]f_{n+1}g_n[/tex] dominate a limit, say b i.e. so [tex]\lim_{b,n \to \infty} b \cdot f_{n+1}g_n = 0[/tex] Can we choose it to be like that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook