1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite Series - Finding the 10th derivative

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let T(x) = [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{k=0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{1}{2^k}[/tex] [tex]\frac{(x-3)}{k!}[/tex]k be the Taylor series for a function f. What is the value of f10(3), the tenth derivative of f at x = 3?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have a very small idea of actually starting this problem. Can I just derive the infinite series by taking derivatives of [tex]\frac{1}{2^k}[/tex] [tex]\frac{(x-3)}{k!}[/tex]k 10 times?

Basically, what is the first step in this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm sure you mean (1/2^k)*(x-3)^k/k!. Yes, think about taking the derivative 10 times and then putting x=3. Only one term will survive. What is it? Practice by thinking about x^k. If you take 10 derivatives of that and then put x=0 you will almost always get 0 unless k has a particular value. What is it?

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3
    Man, Dick, you're very helpful!

Thanks I got (1/2)^10 or 9.765 * 10^-4.

You're right about that one term. When k = 10, then its 0^0, or 1. Thanks for the tips! Much appreciated!

5. Apr 11, 2009 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just want to emphasize the significance of the problem.

It's too easy to let your thinking run in only one direction -- you compute derivatives so that you may find the Taylor series to your function.

But the other direction is also important -- sometimes we want to find the derivative, and it turns out that we can compute the Taylor series easily. So, we compute the Taylor series so that we may find a derivative!

For example, suppose that we have

[tex]f(x) = \frac{1}{1-x}[/tex]

and we want to know the eighteenth derivative:

[tex]f^{(18)}(0) = \, ?[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook