1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite series Σ 1/(ln(e^n+e^-n)) = Σ 1/ln(n)?

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove whether [tex]\sum \frac{1}{ln(e^{n}+e^{-n})}[/tex] converges or diverges

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(second post today... sorry, I just want to make sure I'm getting this right)

Since [tex]e^{n}+e^{-n}[/tex] goes to infinity as n goes to infinity, could I say that [tex]\sum \frac{1}{ln(e^{n}+e^{-n})}[/tex] is like [tex]\sum \frac{1}{ln(n)}[/tex]?

I know that [tex]\sum \frac{1}{ln(n)}[/tex] is definitely divergent because it is > 1/n and I can use the comparison test.

But could I argue that [tex]\sum \frac{1}{ln(e^{n}+e^{-n})}[/tex] and [tex]\sum \frac{1}{ln(n)}[/tex] are essentially the same?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2
    No, you can't say that... for example n^2 goes to infinity as n goes to infinity, sum of 1/n diverges and sum of 1/n^2 converges.

But you can notice that [tex]e^n + e^{-n} < e^n + e^n[/tex] ...

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    Right, so [tex]\frac{1}{ln(e^{n}+e^{-n})} > \frac{1}{ln(e^{n}+e^{n})} = \frac{1}{ln(2)+ln(e^{n})} = \frac{1}{ln(2)+n}[/tex]

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{ln(2)+n}[/tex] certainly looks like it diverges... but how would I prove that?

comparison test wouldn't work since it's not quite true that [tex]\sum \frac{1}{ln(2)+n} > 1/n[/tex]

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    If you could show that ∑ 1/ln(en + e-n) is greater than ∑ 1/ln(n) then you could compare them and show that the first one diverges. Otherwise, it won't help you.

Try another comparison with en + e-n < e2n

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    Does [tex]\sum \frac{1}{n+1} = 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... [/tex] converge or diverge?

7. Oct 22, 2009 #6
    n + 1 < 2n
    1/(n + 1) > 1/(2n)

Σ 1/(2n) = (1/2)Σ 1/n diverges, so Σ 1/(n + 1) diverges.

8. Oct 22, 2009 #7
    Exactly, and also Σ 1/(n+1) = (Σ 1/n) - 1, another way to see that it diverges. And 1/(ln(2)+n) > 1/n+1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook