1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite square well expectation value problem

1. Dec 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle in an infinite box is in the first excited state (n=2). Obtain the expectation value 1/2<xp+px>

2. The attempt at a solution

Honestly, I don't even know where to begin.
    I assumed V<0, V>L is V=∞ and 0<V<L is V=0

I tried setting up the expectation value formula

1/2∫x|ψ*Pψ|2+(x|ψ2)*P x|ψ|2

but what is ψ? is it √(2/L) Sin ((n2πx)/L) because its the solution to the infinite well? are the bounds from 0 to L?

Thanks for viewing my question!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2
    [itex]\psi[/itex] is the wave function for the given problem, that you find by solving Schrodinger equation for a given potential

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You mean V=∞ when x<0 or x>L.

How did you get this?

You do use a solution for the infinite square well, but the function you wrote isn't quite correct.

5. Dec 15, 2012 #4
    Thanks for responding guys! I very much appreciate it!

Ahh yes, sorry for the crappy notation

Uhhh Now that I've done some more studying I can see that its wrong but I was, at the time, hoping that the expectation values would be ∫<xp>+<px> = ∫<xp+px> and the expectation values of xp, px will just add together like magic.

Which is wrong! So i've redone the problem in an attempt to simply find the operator first

<xp> = -ihx(dψ/dx) and
    <px> = -ih (d(xψ)/dx)
    1/2<xp+px> = (-ih)/2 (x(dψ/dx)+(d(xψ)/dx)

Now the expectation value should be <1/2(xp+px)>= ∫ψ*(1/2)<xp+px>ψ dx?

do I just plug in 1/2<xp+px> (assuming its correct) and plug in ψ (the solution to the infinite square well) and take the integral from 0 to L?

Sorry! I was very wrong haha
    √(2/L) Sin ((nπx)/L)

6. Dec 15, 2012 #5
    One thing that might help you:

Using [x,p] = ihbar, or xp - px = ihbar, or px = -ihbar + xp, you can write

xp + px = xp + xp - ihbar = 2xp - ihbar, which has an easier to calculate expectation value. (you should check my work, I may have made a mistake)

In general an expectation value is:

<Q> = ∫ψ*Qψdx, where Q on the right is the operator for the observable you want to calculate. ψ is the wavefunction of the particle, which should be supplied by your textbook (it looks like you have the right one though).

Removed by moderator

Where I used the normalization condition ∫ψ*ψdx = 1.

I'll leave it to you do actually do the integral, and to check my work.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook