Infinite square well, Probability of measurement of particle's energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the expansion postulate in finding the wavefunction and calculating the probability in a quantum mechanics problem. The speaker mentions having difficulties with the last two 4-marker questions and seeking help with understanding the concept of expansion coefficient and probability. They are advised to consult their textbook for a better understanding.
machofan

Homework Statement

gHOY1oq.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to do the first 3 parts of the questions. The last two 4 markers are the ones I am having difficulties with. I have tried using the expansion postulate which states the wavefunction is equal to the sum of the expansion coefficent "a" and the eigenfunction. Then by squaring the expansion coefficient, this should provide the probability.

The wavefunction from part 3) was found to be 2Acos(kx), and I've tried integrating this by squaring it, but I notice that's not the right way to go about this problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
As you said, the wavefunction Φ may be expanded in terms of a linear combination of the ψ(n). The {ψ} form an orthonormal basis. What happens if you take <ψ(1)|Φ>?

tman12321 said:
As you said, the wavefunction Φ may be expanded in terms of a linear combination of the ψ(n). The {ψ} form an orthonormal basis. What happens if you take <ψ(1)|Φ>?

If you take ψ and Φ, then integrate from a to -a, would that provide the expansion coefficient a[itex]_{n}[/itex]? In which case, by squaring this coefficient, this would provide the probability?

This is a basic fact in quantum mechanics. You should consult your textbook so that you understand this, because you are bound to see it over and over again.

Hello,

The probability of measuring a particle's energy in the infinite square well potential is given by the square of the expansion coefficient for that particular energy level. In other words, the probability is equal to the absolute value squared of the coefficient "a" in the expansion of the wavefunction.

In the case of an infinite square well potential, the wavefunction is given by a sine or cosine function, depending on the specific boundary conditions. To find the probability of measuring a specific energy level, you would need to square the coefficient of the corresponding eigenfunction (sin or cos) in the expansion of the wavefunction.

For example, if the wavefunction is given by 2Acos(kx), the probability of measuring the energy level corresponding to this eigenfunction would be (2A)^2 = 4A^2.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is an infinite square well?

An infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles confined within a potential well. It is an infinitely deep potential well with infinite walls on either side, allowing for the study of particle behavior in a controlled environment.

2. How does the infinite square well affect the probability of measuring a particle's energy?

The infinite square well system is characterized by discrete energy levels, meaning that the probability of measuring a particle's energy at a specific level is determined by the size and shape of the well. The higher the energy level, the lower the probability of measuring the particle's energy at that level.

3. Can the probability of measuring a particle's energy be determined exactly in an infinite square well?

No, the probability of measuring a particle's energy in an infinite square well can only be determined in terms of relative probabilities. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the exact measurement of a particle's energy is impossible.

4. How does the width of the infinite square well affect the probability of measuring a particle's energy?

The width of the infinite square well directly affects the energy levels and, therefore, the probability of measuring a particle's energy. A wider well will have more energy levels, resulting in a higher probability of measuring the particle's energy at any given level.

5. How does the energy of a particle change in an infinite square well?

In an infinite square well, the energy of a particle is quantized, meaning it can only take on specific discrete values. As the particle moves within the well, its energy remains constant until it reaches the edge of the well, where it can either be absorbed or reflected, resulting in a change in energy.