1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite square well, Probability of measurement of particle's energy

1. May 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

gHOY1oq.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have managed to do the first 3 parts of the questions. The last two 4 markers are the ones I am having difficulties with. I have tried using the expansion postulate which states the wavefunction is equal to the sum of the expansion coefficent "a" and the eigenfunction. Then by squaring the expansion coefficient, this should provide the probability.

The wavefunction from part 3) was found to be 2Acos(kx), and I've tried integrating this by squaring it, but I notice that's not the right way to go about this problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2014 #2
    As you said, the wavefunction Φ may be expanded in terms of a linear combination of the ψ(n). The {ψ} form an orthonormal basis. What happens if you take <ψ(1)|Φ>?

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    If you take ψ and Φ, then integrate from a to -a, would that provide the expansion coefficient a[itex]_{n}[/itex]? In which case, by squaring this coefficient, this would provide the probability?

5. May 5, 2014 #4
    This is a basic fact in quantum mechanics. You should consult your textbook so that you understand this, because you are bound to see it over and over again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted