1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Infinite sum of squares converges

1. Feb 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So, L2 is defined to be the set of all infinite sequences of real numbers, s.t. the sum of their squares converges:
    L2 = {x=(x1,...,xn,...) | [tex]\Sigma[/tex]xi < [tex]\infty[/tex]}
    we have d(x,y) = [tex]\sqrt{\Sigma (xi-yi)^2}[/tex]

I need to show that this is a metric, starting by showing that if [tex]xi,yi\in[/tex] then [tex]xi-yi\in[/tex]
    2. Relevant equations

definition of a metric

3. The attempt at a solution
    so my initial problem was with the first step:
    x = (x1,..., xn,....), y = (y1,...,yn,...), and then x - y = (x1 - y1, ...,xn-yn,...)
    to show [tex]xi,yi\in[/tex], we must show that [tex]\Sigma (xi -yi) < \infty[/tex].
    First, I broke up the squared quantity to get [tex]\Sigma (xi^2- 2xi*yi + yi^2) [/tex].
    Carrying the sumation through, [tex]\Sigma xi^2 < \infty [/tex] (as for yi^2).
    But where I get stuck is how to show or determine that [tex]\Sigma xi*yi < \infty [/tex].

So then the first three parts of the definition of a metric ([tex]d(p,p) = 0, p\rightarrow d(p,q) > 0, [/tex] and [tex] d(p,q) = d(q,p)[/tex]) are easy enough to prove assuming [tex]xi-yi \in L2[/tex].
    I get caught up again in proving that d(p,q) < d(p,r) + d(r,q).
    I tried squaring both sides and distributing the summation, but found the resulting right hand side of the equation did not really simplify in a useful way. I'm not really sure where to go from there... any ideas for either of these roadblocks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your missing ingredients are various facets of the 'Cauchy-Schwarz inequality'. Look that up.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?