Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Probability: Infinite marbles placed in, and selected from an urn

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a countably infinite set of marbles numbered; 1, 2, 3,..., n.

I also have an urn that can hold an infinite amount of marbles.

I then place marbles 1 and 2 into the urn, and remove one of them with the following probabilities:

The probability of removing a marble is proportional to its number.

So, the probability that I remove marble 1 is [tex]\stackrel{1}{3}[/tex], and that I remove marble 2 is [tex]\stackrel{2}{3}[/tex].

Once a marble is removed, I then place marbles 3 and 4 into the urn. I

Now if marble 2 was removed earlier, then marbles 1,3,4 are in the urn. The probability of removing any of them are now respectively, [tex]\stackrel{1}{8}, \stackrel{3}{8}, and \stackrel{4}{8}[/tex]

I keep adding and removing marbles as above, in order of their number.

I am asked to show, that there is a positive probability that marble 1 remains in the urn forever.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Not quite sure how to pin this down. Any help is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so the probability marble 1 survives the first pick is 2/3. The probability that it survives the second is 7/8. At this point you have a choice which one to pick which is not 1. Pick the one which has the least probability to be picked which is not 1. That would be a lower bound for the probability that 1 will never be picked, right? I haven't tried to show the resulting infinite product is positive. Can you? That should get you started.

4. Sep 12, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the lead!

Ok, I'm trying to trace it out now...

Wouldn't the 2nd round have to be conditioned on the 1st round, so P(surviving 2nd round) would be:

[tex]\stackrel{2}{3}*\stackrel{7}{8}[/tex], no?

edit: n.m., I see your point, gonna set it up as:

[tex]\prod_{n}^{}\mathbb{P}\left\{A_{n}|A_{n-1}\right\}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook