Probability, Bag of Marbles - quantity grabbed > quantity needed

• Thread starter whoami1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the problem is asking for the probability that Bob randomly picks 5 marbles from a sack containing 20 marbles (6 purple, 8 blue, 4 white, 2 green) and at least 2 of the marbles are purple and at least 2 are blue. The solution involves considering different combinations of marbles and calculating their probabilities using a multi-class version of the hypergeometric distribution. The final probability is the sum of the probabilities for the events (3 purple, 2 blue, 0 others), (2 purple, 3 blue, 0 others), and (2 purple, 2 blue, 1 other).
whoami1

Homework Statement

Bob has a marble sack with 20 marbles. 6 - purple, 8 - blue, 4 - white, 2 green.
If Bob randomly grabs 5 marbles what is the probability that at least 2 are purple and at least 2 are blue?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess the part that is throwing me is taking one more than required. So let's say Bob only grabs 4 marbles. Would the probability be (6/20)*(5/19)*(8/18)*(7/17) = 14/969? If this is incorrect for picking 4 please explain as well. I would also appreciate it if you used the probability notation like p(b) as I need practice, but it is not necessary.This isn't for any math class, but a different subject. I've modified the problem, but the principle is the same. I don't have much background in probability (it has been 3 years since I've done some). What are some good resources for learning/relearning probability? I've been watching some videos on khanacademy.org.

Physics news on Phys.org
whoami1 said:

Homework Statement

Bob has a marble sack with 20 marbles. 6 - purple, 8 - blue, 4 - white, 2 green.
If Bob randomly grabs 5 marbles what is the probability that at least 2 are purple and at least 2 are blue?

Homework Equations

?

I guess the part that is throwing me is taking one more than required. So let's say Bob only grabs 4 marbles. Would the probability be (6/20)*(5/19)*(8/18)*(7/17) = 14/969? If this is incorrect for picking 4 please explain as well.
6/20 is the probability the first marble you pick is purple. 5/19 is the probability the second marble you pick is also purple. 8/18 is the probability the third marble you pick is blue. 7/17 is the probability the fourth marble you pick is blue. So what you have calcuated is the probability of getting two purple and two blue marbles in that order.

You can extend that easily to 5 marbles by noting that if the fifth marble is NOT purple or blue it must be green or white and there are 6 such marbles in the 16 marbles that are left. The probability of getting two purple, two bue, and one other marble, in that order, is (6/20)(5/19)(8/18)(7/17)(6/16).

If you were to do that same analysis for "one purple, two blue, one "other", one purple marble" in that order you will, of course, stll have 20, 19, 18, 17, and 16 in the denominator and the same numbers in the numerator, just rearranged. So the probability of "two blue, two purple, one other" in any specific order is the same. To find the probability of that in any order, you just have to multiply by the number of possible orders.

Now, how many different "orders" are there for "PPBBO"? Once you have multiplied by that you will have the probability of getting "two purple, two blue, and one other marble" in any order.

But the problem says "at least 2 purple marbles" and "at least 2 blue marbles" so you also have to consider "three purple and two blue marbles" and "two purple and three blue marbles" in any order.

I would also appreciate it if you used the probability notation like p(b) as I need practice, but it is not necessary.This isn't for any math class, but a different subject. I've modified the problem, but the principle is the same. I don't have much background in probability (it has been 3 years since I've done some). What are some good resources for learning/relearning probability? I've been watching some videos on khanacademy.org.

Last edited by a moderator:
whoami1 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

?

I guess the part that is throwing me is taking one more than required. So let's say Bob only grabs 4 marbles. Would the probability be (6/20)*(5/19)*(8/18)*(7/17) = 14/969? If this is incorrect for picking 4 please explain as well. I would also appreciate it if you used the probability notation like p(b) as I need practice, but it is not necessary.This isn't for any math class, but a different subject. I've modified the problem, but the principle is the same. I don't have much background in probability (it has been 3 years since I've done some). What are some good resources for learning/relearning probability? I've been watching some videos on khanacademy.org.

Let the outcomes be labeled as (P,B,O), where P = number purple, B =number blue, O = number of "others" (neither blue nor purple). The event you want is E = {(3,2,0),(2,3,0),(2,2,1)}. Each outcome's probability is easy to calculate using a multi-class version of the hypergeometric distribution.

RGV

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. This is what I did, I'm not sure if the computation is correct.

P(3,2,0) = 0.036119711
P(2,3,0) = 0.0541795666
P(2,2,1) = 0.1625386997
So then do I add the events together to get 0.2528379773?
Edit: I think I understand it conceptually now. I couldn't get past the three different events. So if all I have to do is add them together I'm set. Once again thanks a lot!

Last edited:

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 representing impossibility and 1 representing certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

The probability of an event is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you have a bag of 10 marbles and 2 are red, the probability of grabbing a red marble is 2/10 or 0.2.

3. What is a "bag of marbles" probability problem?

A "bag of marbles" probability problem involves calculating the probability of selecting a certain number of marbles from a bag without replacement. This means that once a marble is selected, it is not put back into the bag.

4. How does the quantity grabbed and quantity needed affect the probability in a bag of marbles problem?

The quantity grabbed and quantity needed are important factors in determining the probability of a bag of marbles problem. The probability decreases as the quantity needed increases, and increases as the quantity grabbed increases. This is because there are fewer favorable outcomes as the quantity needed increases, and more favorable outcomes as the quantity grabbed increases.

5. How can I use probability in everyday life?

Probability is used in a variety of ways in everyday life, such as in weather forecasting, gambling, and risk assessment. It can also help make informed decisions, such as choosing the best route to travel or making financial investments. Understanding probability can also help in evaluating the validity of claims or statistics, and in making predictions about future events.