Information about absorption cross section

In summary, an absorption cross section is a measure of the effective area that a particle or molecule presents to an incoming beam of radiation. It is typically measured using spectroscopy techniques and can be affected by factors such as the wavelength of the incoming radiation and the physical properties of the sample. The absorption cross section is an important parameter in scientific research, particularly in fields such as atmospheric science, astronomy, and materials science. It is related to other properties, such as extinction coefficient and molar absorptivity, through mathematical equations.
davidpotter
Hydrogen - Halpha cross section
i need the absorption cross section for the absorption of an H-alpha photon by a hydrogen atom, in the correct state of course, which I'm pretty sure is neutral hydrogen, n=2.
I am needing this for a project, so i also need a reliable source where this comes from.
Thanks beforehand and friendly regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have the value for you, but I usually use the NIST database for atomic information. Try at http://www.nist.gov/pml/data/asd.cfm , the Lines section appears to have also transition probabilities.

What is an absorption cross section?

An absorption cross section is a measure of the effective area that a particle or molecule presents to an incoming beam of radiation, such as light or sound. It is a fundamental property that describes how likely a particle is to absorb energy from the beam.

How is the absorption cross section measured?

The absorption cross section is typically measured using spectroscopy techniques, where the amount of radiation absorbed by a sample is compared to the amount of radiation that passes through the sample. The ratio of these two values is used to calculate the absorption cross section.

What factors affect the absorption cross section?

The absorption cross section can be affected by several factors, including the wavelength of the incoming radiation, the energy level of the particle or molecule, and the physical properties of the sample, such as its size and shape. It can also be influenced by the environment in which the sample is located.

What is the importance of the absorption cross section in scientific research?

The absorption cross section is an important parameter in many areas of scientific research, particularly in fields such as atmospheric science, astronomy, and materials science. It is used to understand the behavior of particles and molecules in different environments and to make predictions about their interactions with radiation.

How is the absorption cross section related to other properties, such as extinction coefficient and molar absorptivity?

The absorption cross section is related to other properties, such as extinction coefficient and molar absorptivity, through mathematical equations. These properties are all measures of how much radiation a sample absorbs, but they differ in the units used and the specific conditions under which they are measured.