Information - Energy equivalence

In summary, the conversation discussed an article that claimed to convert information into energy by manipulating a molecule in an aqueous solution with an electric field. The article also mentioned the reduction of entropy in collections of particles, but the conversation questioned the validity of these claims and sought further clarification on the concept of converting information into energy. The conversation referenced Szilard's engine and discussed the relationship between pressure, volume, and work. It concluded with doubts about the accuracy of the article's claims and the understanding of information and energy conversion.
Routaran
I was having a discussion with an individual who was claiming that information is a form of energy. I disagreed with that claim. Over the course of the conversation, he provided me with the following article

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2010/nov/19/information-converted-to-energy

The article says that the molecule was placed in an aqueous solution and then electric field was applied to the solution causing the molecule to spin in a given direction, causing it to fall down the potential energy staircase but every once in a while, buffered by the solution (I read buffered as colliding with the molecules in the solution) it rotated in the other direction causing it to go up the staircase. Then the article says that the researched reversed the phase of the field there by preventing it from falling down the potential energy staircase.

The article then says,
"In this way they could gradually raise the potential of the particle even though they had not imparted any energy to it directly."

That statement seems dubious to me. Energy may not have been added from the outside but what about the collisions that test molecule had with the solution it was sitting in? Couldn't it have simply gained that potential from the molecules in the solution? Is it more correct to say that after collisions with the molecules in the solution, the test molecule had more energy than it did before the collision while the molecules in the solution had less energy but the total energy is still the same, just distributed differently. Why say that information was converted to energy?

Then the article goes on to say,
"In recent years other groups have shown that collections of particles can be rearranged so as to reduce their entropy without providing them with energy directly."

That just sounded like bunk to me. Yes the test molecule gained potential but what about the solution it was sitting in? Why isn't that being discussed as part of the system?

Can someone please shed some light on this for me? The source seems reputable but I'm very skeptical about what they are saying.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The energy comes from the liquid, I agree. The interesting result of the experiment is the entropy reduction in the (not closed) system "fluid+particle"*. You could extract the energy stored in the particle, and perform work. This does not reduce the overall entropy, as image processing and the control of the electric field increases entropy more than it gets reduced by the rotation.

*this leads to the second quote in your post

I went back and looked at Szilard's engine, the article made a reference to that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_in_thermodynamics_and_information_theory#Szilard.27s_engine

if I understand it correctly, his thought experiment was:
You have 1 atom of gas in a chamber. When that atom is in the bottom half, we put a shutter in and split the chamber in half. Then the piston can drop unopposed in the empty half. When the shutter is opened, work can be performed by the atom.

I may be way off in my thinking but here's what i got from it.
When the shutter was closed, the volume available to the atom decreased thus increasing the pressure. This pressure increase is what allows for work to be done.

What I don't understand is why it says that information was converted to energy.

If you know where the particle is, you can use this to operate the engine - you can use this knowledge to convert thermal energy to mechanical energy.
Information and high-entropy energy (heat) is converted to low-entropy energy.

I don't fully understand that article. Did they simply create a tiny heat engine? And what do they mean by "converting information to energy"? They can't mean they destroyed information in order to create energy out of nothing. That would violate two fundamental laws of physics. Maybe they mean they moved information from the particle into the surroundings and moved energy from the surroundings into the particle?

1. What is the concept of information-energy equivalence?

The concept of information-energy equivalence is a theoretical idea that suggests there is a fundamental connection between information and energy. It proposes that information and energy are interchangeable and that information can be quantified in terms of energy.

2. How does the concept of information-energy equivalence relate to physics?

The concept of information-energy equivalence relates to physics through the fundamental laws of thermodynamics. These laws state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another. Therefore, information can be seen as a form of energy that can be transformed into different types of energy.

3. Is there any evidence to support the concept of information-energy equivalence?

While there is no direct evidence to support the concept of information-energy equivalence, there are several examples in nature that suggest a connection between the two. For instance, the process of computation, which involves the manipulation of information, requires energy to perform tasks. Additionally, the laws of thermodynamics can be applied to information systems, further supporting the idea of a connection between information and energy.

4. Can the concept of information-energy equivalence have practical applications?

Yes, the concept of information-energy equivalence has several potential practical applications. One potential application is in the development of more efficient computing systems. By understanding the relationship between information and energy, scientists can design more energy-efficient computers. Additionally, this concept can also have implications in fields such as communication and information storage.

5. How does the concept of information-energy equivalence impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of information-energy equivalence challenges our traditional understanding of the universe and the role of information in it. It suggests that information is a fundamental component of the universe and has the potential to shape and influence the physical world. This concept also raises questions about the origin of information and its relationship to the laws of the universe.