Energy Conversion With Supercritical Fluids

In summary, the idea is to create a system that is near to supercritical, play "keep-away" with molecules, and use different rates of heat to achieve a desired velocity.
Benign Paradigm
sc.png

Technically, this isn't a question concerning supercritical fluids. It's more about converting thermal energy into velocity by playing "keep-away" with molecules that want to go supercritical.

The idea is simple. In an fully contained system, we can more or less say volume is static. Temperature becomes what determines both pressure and state of matter once we have that system of static volume. We can now simulate the introduction and removal of thermal energy.

Let's say our system is a figure-8 loop and contains CO2 at the right pressure to invoke a super-critical state relatively near to ambient external temperatures. We can now introduce a low-energy heat source to generate a state change with relative ease. As the CO2 begins to go supercritical, we can introduce a low-energy source of cooling to from outside of this closed system, as well.

What I'd like to know is how to describe the transfer of this energy. It seems to me, that an unnaturally large portion of the thermal energy we introduce will be converted directly into kinetic energy until it leaves the system as thermal energy again on the "cooling side" of our figure-8.

I'm trying to determine the potential velocity of molecules within this system, based on the differential between my source of heat and my heat absorption. I'm just not sure exactly how to go about such a thing. Supercritical fluids are purportedly frictionless, but a system that is very nearly supercritical should be very nearly frictionless correct?

If that's the case, shouldn't it be hypothetically possible to generate extreme velocities within this system by increasing both the heat source and heat absorption rates to high levels?

And if so, how do we trend these rates to accurately achieve a desired velocity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Benign Paradigm said:
Supercritical fluids are purportedly frictionless, but a system that is very nearly supercritical should be very nearly frictionless correct?
In a word? "No."

Bystander said:
In a word? "No."
My understanding was that matter in the containment will reach greater velocities than it normally would, if the rest of the volume is near to reaching a supercritical state.

Judging by the simplicity of your answer, am I to assume that I'm completely wrong?

You have confused "supercritical" with "superfluid," as in He II is a low/zero viscosity "superfluid."

I see. I was taught that an entire volume must be undergo the change to a super-critical state in order for the super-critical fluid to be relaxed. For that reason, I drew a parallel to super fluids. I was with the impression that matter undergoing the change to a super-critical state would increase in velocity to transfer heat out of the volume by exhibiting the same defiance of friction.

I think I found a paper that'll adequately answer my mangled question. Maybe you'll be interested.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Pierre_Carles3/publication/235528431_Relaxation_of_a_supercritical_fluid_after_a_heat_pulse_in_the_absence_of_gravity_effects_Theory_and_experiments/links/00b49537191b169ed3000000.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Bystander
Thankee.

1. What is a supercritical fluid?

A supercritical fluid is a substance that is at a temperature and pressure above its critical point, where it exhibits properties of both a liquid and a gas. This unique state allows for the fluid to efficiently dissolve and transport substances, making it useful in various energy conversion processes.

2. How is energy converted using supercritical fluids?

Energy conversion with supercritical fluids involves using the unique properties of the fluid to extract energy from a source, such as fossil fuels or biomass. This can be done through processes such as supercritical fluid extraction, where the fluid is used to extract valuable compounds from a substance, or supercritical water oxidation, where the fluid is used to efficiently burn organic materials.

3. What are the advantages of using supercritical fluids for energy conversion?

Supercritical fluids offer several advantages for energy conversion, including high efficiency, low environmental impact, and versatility. The high efficiency of supercritical fluids allows for more energy to be extracted from a source compared to traditional methods. Additionally, the use of supercritical fluids in energy conversion produces minimal emissions and waste, making it a more environmentally friendly option. Finally, these fluids can be used for a wide range of energy conversion processes, making them a versatile tool in the field of energy science.

4. Are there any limitations or challenges to using supercritical fluids for energy conversion?

While supercritical fluids have many advantages, there are also limitations and challenges to using them for energy conversion. One major challenge is the high cost of equipment and materials needed for supercritical fluid processes. Additionally, these processes require a precise understanding of the properties and behaviors of the fluid, which can be difficult to control. Finally, the high pressure and temperature requirements for supercritical fluids can also pose safety concerns.

5. What are some current research and developments in the field of energy conversion with supercritical fluids?

There is ongoing research and development in the field of energy conversion with supercritical fluids, with a focus on improving efficiency, reducing costs, and expanding applications. Some current areas of research include the use of supercritical fluids in geothermal power production, biomass gasification, and carbon capture and storage. Additionally, there is ongoing research on developing new types of supercritical fluids that can be used for energy conversion, such as supercritical carbon dioxide and supercritical nitrogen.