1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inhomogeneous Dirichlet problem in a rectangle

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the problem
    \begin{cases}
    u_{xx} + u_{yy} = y, \; \; 0 < x < 2, \; \; 0 < y < 1\\
    u(x,0)=0, \; \; u(x,1)=0\\
    u(0,y)=y-y^3, \; \; y(2,y)=0.
    \end{cases}
    2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I start by trying to find a steady-state solution ##u_0(y)## (or I guess a solution independent of ##x## since we don't have a time variable). We have
    ##u_0''=y \Longrightarrow y = \frac{y^3}{6}+ay+b##. The boundary values ##u(x,0)=0, \; \; u(x,1)=0## give us that ##u_0 = \frac{y^3-y}{6}##.

Setting ##u = v+u_0## we end up with the new homogeneous problem
    \begin{cases}v_{xx}+v_{yy}=0\\
    v(x,0) = 0, \; \; v(x,1)=0\\
    v(0,y) = \frac{7}{6}(y-y^3), \; \; v(2,y)=\frac{y-y^3}{6}\end{cases}
    Separation of variables give us
    ##X(x) = c_1\cosh \lambda x + c_2 \sinh \lambda x## and
    ##Y(y) = c_3\cos \lambda y + c_3\sin \lambda y##.
    The boundary conditions ##v(x,0) = 0, \; \; v(x,1)=0## give us that ##c_3=0## and ##\lambda = n\pi##. We then have solutions of the form
    ##v(x,y) = \sum_1^\infty \left( a_n\cosh n\pi x + b_n \sinh n\pi x \right) \sin n\pi y##.
    Imposing the boundary condition ##v(0,y) = \frac{7}{6}(y-y^3)## we have that
    ##\frac{7}{6}(y-y^3) = \sum_1^\infty a_n \sin n\pi y##. Calculating the Fourier coefficients we have that
    ##a_n = \frac{7}{3}\int_0^1 (y-y^3)\sin n\pi y dy = \frac{14 (-1)^{n-1}}{\pi^3 n^3}##.
    So we have
    ##v(x,y) = \sum_1^\infty \left( \frac{14 (-1)^{n-1}}{\pi^3 n^3}\cosh n\pi x + b_n \sinh n\pi x \right) \sin n\pi y##. Imposing the other boundary condition ##v(2,y)=\frac{y-y^3}{6}## we get
    ##\frac{y-y^3}{6} =\sum_1^\infty \left( \frac{14 (-1)^{n-1}}{\pi^3 n^3}\cosh n\pi 2 + b_n \sinh n\pi 2 \right) \sin n\pi y## at which point I'm stuck not knowing how to proceed.

The answer should be
    ##u(x,y) = \frac{1}{6}(y^3-y)+\frac{2}{\pi^3}\sum_1^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^3\sinh 2n \pi} (\sinh n\pi x + 7 \sinh n\pi(2-x) )\sin n\pi y##.
    I guess they choose the eigenfunction basis to the Sturm-Liouville problem as
    ##\sinh n\pi x## and ##\sinh n\pi (2-x)## instead which work just as well. Is there a way I can get the answer in this form or do I have to redo every calculation with these eigenfunctions?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Well, you know that [tex]
    \frac{14(-1)^{n-1}}{n^3 \pi^3}\cosh 2n\pi + b_n \sinh 2n\pi[/tex] must be equal to the [itex]\sin n\pi y[/itex] coefficient in the fourier series for [itex](y - y^3)/6[/itex] - which you know, because you've just calculated the fourier series of [itex]7(y - y^3)/6[/itex]. Then, if you wish, use the hyperbolic sine addition rule [tex]\sinh (a + b) = \sinh a \cosh b + \cosh a \sinh b[/tex] to express your linear combination of hyperbolic sines and cosines as a linear combination of [itex]\sinh n\pi x[/itex] and [itex]\sinh n\pi(2-x)[/itex].

But the natural choice of eigenfunctions here is indeed [itex]\sinh n\pi x \sin n\pi y[/itex] and [itex]\sinh n\pi (2 - x) \sin n\pi y[/itex]: The boundary condition on [itex]x = 2[/itex] is just [itex]\frac17[/itex] times that on [itex]x = 0[/itex]. Thus if [itex]X_{n,1}[/itex] and [itex]X_{n,2}[/itex] are linear combinations of [itex]e^{n\pi x}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-n\pi x}[/itex] subject to [itex]X_{n,1}(0) = 1[/itex], [itex]X_{n,1}(2) = 0[/itex] and [itex]X_{n,2}(0) = 0[/itex], [itex]X_{n,2}(1) = 1[/itex] then [tex]
    v(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n (X_{n,1}(x) + \tfrac17 X_{n,2}(x)) \sin n\pi y[/tex] where [itex]a_n[/itex] is obtained from the fourier expansion on [itex]x = 0[/itex]. And on investigation we find [tex]
    X_{n,1}(x) = \frac{\sinh n\pi (2 - x)}{\sinh 2n\pi}, \\
    X_{n,2}(x) = \frac{\sinh n\pi x}{\sinh 2n\pi}. [/tex]

4. Oct 18, 2015 #3
    The alternative eigenfunctions really made it a lot easier. How would I go about finding them in the first place? or are they just something you get from experience where someone just happened upon them? Our book does indeed suggest them for a similar example problem but doesn't explain how they got them in the first place.

As for transforming the the ##\cosh ## and ##\sinh## I think I got it right
    ##\frac{2(-1)^{n-1}}{\pi^3 n^3} = \frac{14 (-1)^{n-1}}{n^3\pi^3}\cosh 2n\pi + b_n \sinh 2n\pi##
    Rearranging we have
    ##b_n= \frac{2(-1)^{n-1}(1-7\cosh 2n\pi)}{\pi^3 n^3 \sinh 2n\pi}##. Our expansion is then
    ##v(x,y) = \frac{2}{\pi^3}\sum_1^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n-1}\sin n\pi y}{n^3 \sinh 2n\pi} \left(7 \sinh 2n\pi \cosh n\pi x + (1-7\cosh 2n\pi)\sinh n\pi x \right)##
    So I want to show that ##(\sinh 2n\pi \cosh n\pi x-\cosh 2n\pi \sinh n\pi x) = \sinh n\pi (2-x)## which follow immediately from your addition rule.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted