Inhomogeneous (poincare) lorentz transormation

In summary, the Einstein summation convention is used in the section on relativity in a physics book. Transformations take the form of x^{\prime\mu}=x^{\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}+C^{\mu}, with \Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu} satisfying the relation \eta_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{\nu}_{\beta}=\eta_{\alpha\beta}. This requires summing over \mu and \nu for all values of \alpha and \beta. The problem arises when \mu=0, \nu=1, \alpha=0, \beta=0, as \eta_{01}=0 and
spacelike
I'm reading a physics book and in the section on relativity they are using the Einstein summation convention, with 4vectors and matrices.

They say that the transformations take the form:
[tex]x^{\prime\mu}=x^{\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}+C^{\mu}[/tex]
where it is required that [itex]\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] satisfy the following relation:
[tex]\eta_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{\nu}_{\beta}=\eta_{\alpha\beta}[/tex]
(note: I found the same thing on wikipedia, so you can see it in context if you like. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation#Spacetime_interval it appears a tiny bit down from the section that the link takes you to.)

My problem is that this seems impossible to satisfy by my current understanding, but I know I must be wrong, I just cannot see how.

So we are summing over [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex] in the above relation right? and we do this for all [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] in order to satisfy all the components of the matrices.
My problem is what happens when we get to the following situation?:
[tex]\mu=0, \nu=1, \alpha=0, \beta=0[/tex]
But, [itex]\eta_{01}=0[/itex], and [itex]\eta_{00}=-1[/itex]. So there is no possible values of the [itex]\Lambda[/itex]'s that will satisfy this because we now have 0=-1, which is a contradiction.

Where did I go wrong with my thinking? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
In an inertial coordinate system,
[tex]\eta_{\alpha\beta} = \eta_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{\nu}_{ \beta} = -\Lambda^{0}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{0}_{ \beta} + \Lambda^{1}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{1}_{ \beta} + \Lambda^{2}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{2}_{ \beta} + \Lambda^{3}_{\alpha}\Lambda^{3}_{ \beta}[/tex]

You're not summing, you've just assumed 4 values for the 4 variables. Remember you have to sum over mu and nu.

Right! I knew it would have to have been something stupidly simple >.<

thanks guys.

1) What is an inhomogeneous (Poincare) Lorentz transformation?

An inhomogeneous (Poincare) Lorentz transformation is a mathematical tool used in physics to describe the relationship between space and time in different reference frames. It is a type of transformation that accounts for both spatial and temporal changes, and is often used in special relativity to explain the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

2) How is an inhomogeneous (Poincare) Lorentz transformation different from a homogeneous Lorentz transformation?

An inhomogeneous (Poincare) Lorentz transformation includes an additional term in the transformation equations that accounts for translations in space and time, while a homogeneous Lorentz transformation does not. This means that an inhomogeneous transformation can account for changes in space and time due to motion, while a homogeneous transformation cannot.

3) What is the significance of the Poincare group in inhomogeneous Lorentz transformations?

The Poincare group is a mathematical group that represents the symmetries of space and time, including translations, rotations, and boosts. In inhomogeneous Lorentz transformations, the Poincare group plays a crucial role in describing how coordinates and measurements change between different inertial reference frames.

4) How are the equations for inhomogeneous Lorentz transformations derived?

The equations for inhomogeneous Lorentz transformations are derived from the principles of special relativity, which state that the laws of physics should be the same in all inertial reference frames. By applying this principle and using mathematical techniques such as matrix algebra, the equations for inhomogeneous Lorentz transformations can be derived.

5) What are some real-world applications of inhomogeneous Lorentz transformations?

Inhomogeneous Lorentz transformations are used in many areas of physics, including particle physics, cosmology, and astrophysics. They are also used in engineering and technology, such as in GPS systems, which must account for the effects of time dilation due to the satellites' high speeds. Additionally, inhomogeneous Lorentz transformations have implications for the concept of simultaneity and our understanding of space and time in modern physics.