Initial value inhomogeneous differential equation

In summary, the problem is trying to solve for y when yp is equal to Ae^(3x)+Bx. When trying this, Simplifying gave me 6B+13A=0 and 13Bx=2x. So B=2/13 and A= -12/169. If the nonhomogeneous problem happened to be y'' + 4y = 1, you would try a particular solution of yp = A, and then you would figure out what A needed to be.
arl146

Homework Statement

In this problem, we will solve the initial value inhomogeneous differential equation in two steps.
y''+4y=2x*e^(3x) y(0)=0 y'(0)=0

1.) First determine yp the particular solution to the differential equation.
2.) Next determine y=yc+yp the complete solution to the differential equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

the roots i got were 0 and -4.
i did y''+4y=0
'equivalent' to: r^2 + 4r = 0
dont know what to do next. usually we'll go onto the yc part but idk what its supposed to look like. the notes suggest that equation will have sin(something) and a cos(something)

help please! i should be able to do part 2 on my own; but we'll see

Physics news on Phys.org
arl146 said:

Homework Statement

In this problem, we will solve the initial value inhomogeneous differential equation in two steps.
y''+4y=2x*e^(3x) y(0)=0 y'(0)=0

1.) First determine yp the particular solution to the differential equation.
2.) Next determine y=yc+yp the complete solution to the differential equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

the roots i got were 0 and -4.
No. The roots of the equation r2 + 4 = 0 are not 0 and -4.
arl146 said:
i did y''+4y=0
'equivalent' to: r^2 + 4r = 0
dont know what to do next. usually we'll go onto the yc part but idk what its supposed to look like. the notes suggest that equation will have sin(something) and a cos(something)

help please! i should be able to do part 2 on my own; but we'll see

oh... i see what i did wrong there. i see it is 4 instead of 4r. the roots are +2i and -2i

So the solution to the homogeneous problem will involve sin(2x) and cos(2x).

Do you have any thoughts on a particular solution?

what do you mean homogenous? the problem calls is an inhomogenous one?

but, an example in the book shows y''+4y= e^(3x). when they did yp, the did yp=Ae^(3x)
but how would mine be since i have that 2x multiplied by my e^(3x) ?

The related homogeneous problem is y'' + 4y = 0. sin(2x) and cos(2x) are solutions to that problem.

If the nonhomogeneous problem happened to be y'' + 4y = 1, you would try a particular solution of yp = A, and then you would figure out what A needed to be.

If the problem happened to be y'' + 4y = 2x, you would try a particular solution of yp = A + Bx.

If it were y'' + 4y = 5x2, you would try a particular solution of yp = A + Bx + Cx2.

The example in your book was y'' + 4y = e3x, so you try yp = Ae3x.

Now with a right side of 2xe3x, what might you try for a particular solution?

i don't know =[ ... Ae^(3x)+Bx?

Yea ok that makes sense. So what now.. I set A= something and Bx=something to get the value if A and B right?

You need to find a and b such that
y=(A + Bx)e^(3x) is a solution of the equation
that is
y''+4y=2x*e^(3x)
or
[(A + Bx)e^(3x)]''+4(A + Bx)e^(3x)=2x*e^(3x)

so it would be:
3e^(3x) * (2B+3A+3Bx) + 4*(A+Bx)e^(3x) = 2x*e^(3x)
after some simplifying i ended up getting 6B+13A=0 and 13Bx=2x
so B= 2/13 and A= -12/169

arl146 said:
so it would be:
3e^(3x) * (2B+3A+3Bx) + 4*(A+Bx)e^(3x) = 2x*e^(3x)
after some simplifying i ended up getting 6B+13A=0 and 13Bx=2x
so B= 2/13 and A= -12/169
You don't need to ask us - you can check it for yourself. Is (-12/169 + 2/13*x)e^(3x) a solution of y'' - 4y = 2xe(3x)?

i got the answer actually. thanks for all the help !

1. What is an initial value inhomogeneous differential equation?

An initial value inhomogeneous differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It includes an initial value, or a specific value of the function at a given point, and is also known as an initial value problem.

2. How is an initial value inhomogeneous differential equation different from a homogeneous one?

An initial value inhomogeneous differential equation includes a non-zero function on the right-hand side of the equation, while a homogeneous one has a zero function on the right-hand side. This means that the solution to an inhomogeneous differential equation will have both a particular solution that satisfies the given initial value and a complementary solution that satisfies the homogeneous version of the equation.

3. What are the applications of initial value inhomogeneous differential equations?

Initial value inhomogeneous differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering to model real-world phenomena. They can be applied to problems in physics, biology, economics, and many other fields. For example, they can be used to study the motion of objects under the influence of forces, the growth of populations, and the behavior of electrical circuits.

4. How do you solve an initial value inhomogeneous differential equation?

To solve an initial value inhomogeneous differential equation, you first need to find the particular solution that satisfies the given initial value. This can be done using techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters. Then, you can find the complementary solution by solving the homogeneous version of the equation. Finally, you can combine the particular and complementary solutions to get the general solution to the equation.

5. What is the importance of initial conditions in solving initial value inhomogeneous differential equations?

The initial conditions, or initial values, are crucial in solving initial value inhomogeneous differential equations as they provide the starting point for finding the solution. Without these values, the equation would have an infinite number of solutions, making it impossible to find a unique solution. The initial conditions also help to determine the constants of integration in the general solution, which are necessary for obtaining a specific solution that satisfies the given initial value.