Initial velocity of bullets - collisions

In summary, a 11.9g bullet was fired into a 5.49kg block of wood vertically. The bullet got stuck in the block and the impact caused the block to rise 0.11m. Using the equation v² - u² = 2as and given g=9.8m/s^2, the initial velocity of the bullet was found to be 1.468 m/s.
nrc_8706
a 11.9g bullet is fired vertically into a 5.49kg block of wood. the bullet gets stuck in the block, and the impact lifts the block 0.11m up. given g=9.8m/s^2. what was the initial velocity of the bullet?

Pi=Pf is this right?
m1Vi1=(m1+m2)Vf

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that's right. Where Vf is the initial velocity of the block/bullet combination just before it rises up.
You now have to figure out Vf from the motion of the block/bullet.

?

in order find Vf of the block/bullet do i use the same formula and that will equal Vf=M1Vio/(m1+m2) if so, i now have two unknowns

use energy to find the velocity of the combination

ok...is it m2gh=1/2(m1+m2)Vf^2 ?

the bullet gets stuck in the wood, and the equation would probably be:

[tex] KE_i = GPE_f [/tex]

is it 1/2m1Vo^2=m2gh ?

alright, since the bullet gets stuck in the wood, the block and the bullet would rise together, so you need to use both masses

the equation would be [itex] \frac{1}{2}(m_1 + m_2)(v_i)^2 = (m_1+m_2)(g)(h) [/itex]

ok...now is this correct?

Vi^2=2(m1+m2)*g*h/(m1+m2)

Vi=(2(m1+m2)*g*h/(m1+m2))^.5

but isn't that final velocity?

The block rises 0.11m.

Using v² - u² = 2as

with u = Vf, v = 0, a = -g, then

Vf² = 2*9.8*0.11 = 2.156
Vf = 1.468 m/s
============

Plug that into your original momentum eqn,

m1Vi1=(m1+m2)Vf

to get v1.

its the final velocity after the collision occurs, but also the initial velocity as the block+bullet move upwards. so yeah, you're right in a way.

Gracias!

thank you so much for your help. i actually worked it out myself but i thought it was such a big number that it couldn't be correct. thanks again for everything

What is initial velocity of bullets?

The initial velocity of a bullet is the speed at which it is launched from a firearm. It is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

How is initial velocity of bullets calculated?

The initial velocity of a bullet can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This can be done using the equation: v = d/t, where v is the initial velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

Does the initial velocity of a bullet affect its impact?

Yes, the initial velocity of a bullet plays a significant role in its impact. A higher initial velocity means the bullet is traveling faster, which can result in a greater impact force and more damage upon collision.

What factors can affect the initial velocity of bullets?

The initial velocity of a bullet can be affected by several factors, including the type and caliber of the firearm, the weight and shape of the bullet, and external factors such as air resistance and wind.

Can the initial velocity of a bullet be changed?

The initial velocity of a bullet can be changed by adjusting the components of the firearm, such as the barrel length, gunpowder charge, and bullet weight. However, it is important to note that any modifications should be done safely and responsibly.