Input characteristics of a BJT in CB mode

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a forward bias p-n junction at small input voltages and the relationship between emitter current and collector-base voltage. The two circuits, forward bias and reverse bias, are considered to be independent, but the emitter current is found to depend on the collector-base voltage. This is known as the Early Effect in bipolar junction transistors.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-17_18-2-32.png

Does this mean that the forward bias p-n junction starts behaving as a conductor at very small input voltage i.e. of the order of 50 mV and it decreases as VCB increases?
The two circuits i.e. forward bias circuit and reverse bias circuit are independent. Then why should ##I_E ## depend upon ## V_{CB}##?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Pushoam said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 211268

Does this mean that the forward bias p-n junction starts behaving as a conductor at very small input voltage i.e. of the order of 50 mV
Yes.
and it decreases as VCB increases?
The opposite. Since emitter current increases with Vcb for a given emitter-base voltage, raising Vcb makes the e-b junction look more like a conductor, not less.
The two circuits i.e. forward bias circuit and reverse bias circuit are independent. Then why should ##I_E ## depend upon ## V_{CB}##?
What two circuits? It's the same circuit.

rude man said:
What two circuits?
The whole CB mode circuit was divided into the two circuits( I didn't specify it clearly. Sorry for it.).
The one circuit relates to the input circuit ( i.e forward bias p-n junction).
The another circuit relates to the output circuit (i.e. reverse bias p-n junction).

Thank you for helping me.

I wanted to know, why does ## I_E ## depend on ##V_{CB}##?

Pushoam said:
I wanted to know, why does ## I_E ## depend on ##V_{CB}##?
Good question. Google the Early Effect in bipolar junction transistors. Wikipedia has a very good explanation.

1. What is the input impedance of a BJT in CB mode?

The input impedance of a BJT in CB (common base) mode is typically low, ranging from a few ohms to a few hundred ohms. This is due to the low resistance of the emitter-base junction, which acts as a forward-biased diode.

2. How does the input impedance of a BJT in CB mode compare to other modes?

The input impedance of a BJT in CB mode is lower than that of the other two modes (CE and CC). In CE mode, the input impedance is high due to the reverse-biased base-collector junction, while in CC mode, the input impedance is moderate due to the reverse-biased base-emitter junction.

3. What is the voltage gain of a BJT in CB mode?

The voltage gain of a BJT in CB mode is typically very low, usually less than 1. This is due to the low input impedance and the fact that the emitter is connected to the power supply, which limits the output swing of the transistor.

4. How does the input current affect the characteristics of a BJT in CB mode?

The input current, or base current, is an important factor in determining the input characteristics of a BJT in CB mode. As the base current increases, the output current (collector current) will also increase, but the voltage across the transistor will remain relatively constant due to the low voltage gain.

5. What is the purpose of the bypass capacitor in a BJT circuit in CB mode?

The bypass capacitor is used to improve the AC performance of a BJT in CB mode. It helps to bypass the emitter resistor, reducing the negative feedback and increasing the voltage gain of the circuit. This improves the overall stability and linearity of the amplifier.