Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insanely hard differential equation

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    I'm trying to find the equilibrium size of a planetesimal which is made of a material whose density is pressure dependent. (quite a mouthful)

I have to solve this differential equation:

[tex]y(x^2y''+2xy')+2y^2+bxy'=ax^2y^3+(xy')^2+by[/tex]

where a and b are constants.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2
    I have no idea where to start. :(

4. Aug 6, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Hmm, the y3 is an issue.

Here is what I would do (after testing some functions like polynomials, or polynomial*exponential and so on): get everything on one side, see what y=1, y=x, y=1/x, y=x2 and so on produce as result and see if you can combine them to get a zero somehow.

5. Aug 6, 2013 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

$$(1) y(x^2 y''+2xy)-(xy')^2 = y(x^2 y')' - (x^2 y')y' = (x^2 y'/y)' y^2 $$

$$(2) bxy' -by = b (y/x)' x^2$$

$$(3) 2y^2 -ax^2 y^3 = y^2 (2- ax^2 y) $$

Your equation is: $$ (1)+(2)+(3) = 0$$

So you get:

$$ (x^2 y'/y)' /x^2 + b(y/x)' /y^2 + (2/x^2 - ay) = 0$$

I wish I could translate all this equation into a derivative of some expression, but I don't see exactly how to do it here. Anyone?

6. Aug 6, 2013 #5

phyzguy

Science Advisor

It should be straightforward to integrate numerically. Is a numerical solution acceptable, or do you want an analytic expression?

7. Aug 6, 2013 #6
    An analytic expression would be best.

8. Aug 6, 2013 #7
    Absolutely an analytic expression. I mean just any old body can numerically integrate it. This is what I came up with early this morning:

Let [itex]u=x^2y'[/itex] so that:

[tex]ydu+2y^2+bxy'=ax^2 y^3+y'u+by[/tex]

then I went to bed. Sadly, that's the best I got.

. . . hummmm, wonder if anyone else is lookin' at this problem? :)

Edit: Oh yeah, I say we let a=1 and b=1 or whatever neat numbers that might make it possible to solve for a particular case for starters.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  9. Aug 11, 2013 #8
    Well you could use Laplace transformation. It's good for this type of equations.

10. Aug 14, 2013 #9

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

NO, it's not. The Laplace transform only works for linear equations (and a few non-linear equations that can be easily linearized).

11. Aug 14, 2013 #10
    I was intrigued by this equation when you first posted it. This equation is very nonlinear, and I tried to do an approximate solution using an expansion, but even that is difficult because of a couple of discrete convolutions. It may be best (If you truly cannot obtain an analytic solution) to substitute a polynomial of some specified degree (This depends on how accurate you want to be) and match terms.

12. Aug 14, 2013 #11
    I think an "analytical" solution, if all else fails, can be computed via power series. I realize we'll have to cube a power series and will have other messy terms, but I am optimistic we can obtain one, however I suspect it will have a small radius of convergence. Still, approaching it via power series would be quite an interesting approach.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  13. Aug 15, 2013 #12

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Since this equation is from physics, how do the physical units work out? Does the equation make sense as a physical law in that respect?

14. Aug 15, 2013 #13
    May I ask if there is any way to check if an algebraic function is a solution to this equation? The reason I ask is that I've noticed sometimes they are solutions to highly-nonlinear equations. Take for example a problem solved in here earlier:

[tex]1+p^2-yp'p-2y(1+p^2)^{3/2}=0[/tex]

Well, it turns out that the algebraic function, [itex]p(y)[/itex] defined implicitly by:

[tex]f(y,p)=(y^2-2c_1 y^2-y^2+c_1^2)+(y^4-2y^2+1)p^2=0[/tex]

is a solution. So, suppose we start with the equation:

[tex]1+p^2-yp'p-2y(1+p^2)^{3/2}=0[/tex]

is there a way to determine if the function:

[tex]f(y,p)=a_0(y)+a_2(y) p^2=0[/tex]
    where [itex]a_i(y)[/itex] are polynomials in y, is a solution to this equation? And if so, is there a way likewise to determine if

[tex]f(x,y)=a_0(x)+a_1(x)y+\cdots+a_n(x)y^n=0[/tex]

is a solution to:

[tex]y(x^2 y ′′ +2xy ′ )+2y^2 +bxy ′ =ax^2 y^3 +(xy ′ )^ 2 +by [/tex]

Suppose that is the assignment:

Given [itex]g(x,y,y',y'')=0[/itex], determine if there are solutions [itex]y(x)[/itex] that can be written in the form:
    [tex]f(x,y)=a_0(x)+a_1(x)y+\cdots+a_n(x)y^n=0[/tex]
    I think that's an interesting problem don't you guys think?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook