Inspiring: Bunker Roy: Learning from a barefoot movement

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movement
In summary, the video discusses how traditional education in the US is outdated and not very helpful for the current generation. It also touches on how Bunker Roy teaches his students things that are important to the village instead of focusing on standardized tests. Finally, the video points out that if more people were taught how to read and write, they would not have to rely on animal products or solar panels to survive.
Physics news on Phys.org
Love it! When I was a kid, the men made a big deal of slaughtering the hogs, steers, etc, but the women actually coordinated the activities and timed them. Little kids got to see this first-hand. Bring in the large intestines, bring in the small intestines, bring in the blood and the scraps... you get the idea. The women coordinated the whole show. The men stayed outside and took care of the heavy stuff and perhaps nipped on bourbon a bit, while the women made sure that the family was well-provisioned. Every family had little oak casks that were charged up with salt and pork-bellies every fall. We needed that stuff to get through the winters. It's one thing to be rich enough to afford butter all winter, and another thing entirely to be able to send a kid to the cellar to spear a piece of salt-pork to cook their breakfast.

That was a wonderful video rhody, and a great reply turbo.

edward said:
That was a wonderful video rhody, and a great reply turbo.
I wish every high school and college student, teacher, and administrator in the US, and around the world for that matter could see this video, I love Bunker's dry can do spirit, his sense of humor, something this country sorely needs, IMHO.

Rhody... :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though I posted this over two months ago, I wish every US member of Congress and the Senate could be MADE to watch it, and after doing so, address their constituents on what it means to them.

I am sure this would make a wonderful senior project for a political science and economics major, and could act as a catalyst that may help open a dialog to address important life lessons and courage in the face of adversity.

Rhody... :tongue:

I don't get what he's trying to do... he's glorifying ignorance and illiteracy?

He says he teaches them things the village thinks is important and seems to look down on traditional style of education, but the only reason he's so enlightened is because he went through that system.

Why not teach people to read and write and maybe one day they won't have to live off animals and solar panels?

pergradus said:
I don't get what he's trying to do... he's glorifying ignorance and illiteracy?

He says he teaches them things the village thinks is important and seems to look down on traditional style of education, but the only reason he's so enlightened is because he went through that system.

Why not teach people to read and write and maybe one day they won't have to live off animals and solar panels?
Little steps to improve life, with your attitude I am sure you would inspire them just as he did.

Rhody...

1. What is the barefoot movement?

The barefoot movement is a social and educational movement that focuses on providing basic needs and education to underprivileged communities, particularly in rural areas. It aims to empower individuals and communities to become self-sufficient and sustainable.

2. Who is Bunker Roy?

Bunker Roy is an Indian social activist and educator who founded the Barefoot College, an organization that has been instrumental in promoting the barefoot movement. He has dedicated his life to providing education and training to individuals from rural and underprivileged communities.

3. What lessons can we learn from the barefoot movement?

The barefoot movement teaches us the importance of empowering and investing in individuals and communities, particularly those who are marginalized or impoverished. It also highlights the value of sustainable and community-driven solutions to social and economic issues.

4. How has the barefoot movement impacted communities?

The barefoot movement has had a significant impact on communities by providing access to education, clean energy, and basic needs such as water and healthcare. It has also empowered individuals to become leaders and change-makers in their communities.

5. How can individuals support the barefoot movement?

Individuals can support the barefoot movement by volunteering or donating to organizations like the Barefoot College, spreading awareness about the movement, and supporting ethical and sustainable practices in their own communities.