Instantaneous acceleration of blocks

In summary, the instantaneous acceleration of the blocks in fig (i) and fig (ii) is the same, with a ratio of 1:1. The net acceleration in fig (i) is equal to the acceleration due to gravity (5g/3) while the net acceleration in fig (ii) is greater than the acceleration due to gravity (8g/5). This is because in fig (i), there is both a radial and tangential component to the acceleration, while in fig (ii), the acceleration is purely tangential. However, if we consider a more realistic scenario where the string has some extensibility, the immediate acceleration of the mass would be the same in both cases.
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

The blocks are of mass 2 kg shown is in equilibrium. At t = 0 right spring in fig (i) and right string in
fig (ii) breaks. Find the ratio of instantaneous acceleration of blocks?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In fig (i) before the string is cut,(2kx)sin37° = 2g , kx=g/sin37°

In fig (ii) before the string is cut,(2T)sin37° = 2g , T=g/sin37°

Is the instantaneous acceleration in the two cases same i.e ratio 1:1I would be grateful if somebody could help me with the problem .

Attachments

• blocks.GIF
    blocks.GIF
    3.7 KB · Views: 928
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I know physics isn't democracy, but I'm inclined to vote for 1:1 too!
Net force after cutting will be minus the missing force, and these are equal.
I'll be listening into see if someone can prove me (us) wrong!

What is the state of the spring at t=0? Stretched? Equilibrium? Compressed?

BvU said:
I know physics isn't democracy, but I'm inclined to vote for 1:1 too!
Net force after cutting will be minus the missing force, and these are equal.
I'll be listening into see if someone can prove me (us) wrong!
I don't think so. When the string is cut, the acceleration of the mass is purely tangential. When the spring is cut, the acceleration is not purely tangential.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Chestermiller said:
I don't think so. When the string is cut, the acceleration of the mass is purely tangential. When the spring is cut, the acceleration is not purely tangential.

Chet

Excellent thinking!

Are you getting 25/24 ?

Tanya Sharma said:
Excellent thinking!

Are you getting 25/24 ?
I haven't actually worked the problem. Let me try it for real and see what I get.

Chet

Tanya Sharma said:
Excellent thinking!

Are you getting 25/24 ?
Yes. I confirm that result.

Chet

Likes 1 person
Thanks Chet :smile:

Impressed ! :redface:

Tanya Sharma said:
Excellent thinking!

Are you getting 25/24 ?

Tanya, can you please show how you solved this problem?

Thanks!

Pranav-Arora said:
Tanya, can you please show how you solved this problem?

Thanks!

In the first case i.e having springs

From equilibrium condition kx = 5g/3

After string is cut , the acceleration of the block will have both radial and tangential components .

at = 2gcos37° = 8g/5

ar = kx - 2gsin37° = 5g/3 - 6g/5 = 7g/15

∴ net acceleration a1 = 5g/3

In the second case i.e having strings

From equilibrium condition T = 5g/3

After string is cut , the acceleration of the block will be purely tangential i.e ar = 0

at = 2gcos37° = 8g/5

∴ net acceleration a2 = 8g/5 So a1/a2 = 25/24

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
In the first case i.e having springs

From equilibrium condition kx = 5g/3

After string is cut , the acceleration of the block will have both radial and tangential components .

at = 2gcos37° = 8g/5

ar = kx - 2gsin37° = 5g/3 - 6g/5 = 7g/15

∴ net acceleration a1 = 5g/3

In the second case i.e having strings

From equilibrium condition T = 5g/3

After string is cut , the acceleration of the block will be purely tangential i.e ar = 0

at = 2gcos37° = 8g/5

∴ net acceleration a2 = 8g/5

So a1/a2 = 25/24

Excellent, thanks a lot Tanya! :smile:

@Balasruthi: post in the thread if you have a question, like 'How is it purely tangential?' -- or (since this is a very old thread) ask your question in a new thread you create.

Acceleration cannot be radial since the wire does not stretch: the tension in the wire cancels any radial component from an ecternal forcce such as gravity.

Chestermiller said:
Yes. I confirm that result.

Chet
An old thread, but more interesting than it looks.

We forever encounter questions involving unrealistic entities such as inelastic or inextensible strings, perfectly elastic collisions, etc. These are defensible if the result matches the limit as that ideal is approached; but it doesn’t in this question.

If we allow the string just a bit of extensibility (finite k) then the force exerted by the remaining string cannot instantly drop. The immediate acceleration of the mass is exactly the same in both cases. Taking the limit as the string's k value tends to infinity does not alter this.

Well done @BvU (post #2).

• Informative
Likes jbriggs444

1. What is instantaneous acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the rate of change of velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is the measure of how quickly the velocity of an object is changing, regardless of its direction.

2. How is instantaneous acceleration different from average acceleration?

Instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific point in time, while average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a given time interval. Instantaneous acceleration gives a more accurate picture of how an object's velocity is changing at a particular moment.

3. What is the formula for calculating instantaneous acceleration?

The formula for instantaneous acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. How does instantaneous acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Instantaneous acceleration determines the rate at which an object's velocity is changing at any given moment. If the acceleration is positive, the object's velocity is increasing, while a negative acceleration means the object's velocity is decreasing. This affects the overall motion of the object, as it determines how quickly the object is speeding up or slowing down.

5. How do you measure instantaneous acceleration experimentally?

To measure instantaneous acceleration experimentally, you can use a tool called an accelerometer. This device measures the acceleration of an object by sensing the changes in its velocity. Another method is to use a motion sensor, which can track the position and velocity of an object and calculate its acceleration based on the change in velocity over time.