Instantaneous centre of lock jaw pliers (4 bar link)

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter liamke70
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Link Lock
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
liamke70
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
trying to plot the movement of the instantaneous centre of lock jaw pliers

first image is an example of the 4 bar link and the second is a sketch which I've drawn of what i think it would be. is this the only instantaneous centre?
lock_jaw_pliers_assembly_image.jpg
lock jaw pliers.png
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it is clear to everyone else, but I have no idea WHAT center you are talking about. Can you draw a red dot on your first image showing where the "center" is that you mean? Also, what part(s) do you assume are not moving? It could be the upper or the lower handle sections (I assume it's the upper section but without saying, your problem is ill defined).
 
the instantaneous centre of zero velocity(sorry should of mentioned that)

the red line is connecting the dots of the instantaneous centre of zero velocity at five positions through the movement of the pliers

the top link (top handle) is fixed in my example

dose this clear it up?

Thank you :)
 
liamke70 said:
the instantaneous centre of zero velocity(sorry should of mentioned that)
I don't know what that means.