Instantaneous Velocity: Can We Find it at a Point?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of finding instantaneous velocity at a single point. It is mentioned that traditionally, at least two points are needed for this calculation, but in certain systems, such as with Maxwell's laws, only one observation may be necessary. The conversation also touches on the idea of using calculus to find the slope of a curve at a single point.
pravignya raj
1.one question i have just read n my book that find inst. velocity at a point ? i think it is a wrong quotation since we need atleast two points for measuring dx length so my teacher taught me that assume point p where we have to find inst. velocity thank take one point before and after p that makes dx length and solve the question but here we are not getting the accurate velocity at p. sir so don't you think that we can not find velocity at a point?
Or it is like this
2.if we go to the microscopic level and see the point then there exist a length dx from one end of point to the other end forms length dx...so from here we can find inst. Velocity at a particular point by joining one microscopic end of point to origin as vector r1 and other microscopic end of point to origin as vector r2.?
My question it is wrong to say that we can not find instantaneous velocity at a point it needs at least two point or my 2 explanation is correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that to calculate velocity from observations of position you need at least two points. But in certain systems there may be other ways that only require one observation.

For instance under Maxwell's laws, when a magnet is moving near a conductor, the current in the conductor is proportional to the velocity of the magnet. So by making a single observation, through a multimeter, of the current in the wire, we could work out the velocity of the magnet.

Sir What about if see point at microscopic level then there exist length dx..

Last edited:
You still need two observations, being the times when the object is at the beginning and end of the length dx.

Thank u sir

I'm guessing you haven't taken calculus yet: one of the fundamental purposes is to find the slope of a curve (such as a distance vs time) at a single point.

Just a beginner...

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the rate of change of an object's position at a specific point in time. It is the velocity of an object at an exact moment, rather than an average velocity over a period of time.

2. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the change in an object's position by the time it took for that change to occur. Instantaneous velocity, on the other hand, is calculated at a specific point in time and represents the object's velocity at that exact moment.

3. Can we find instantaneous velocity at any point?

Yes, it is possible to find instantaneous velocity at any point. However, it may be more difficult to calculate at certain points, such as points where the object is changing direction or accelerating.

4. What is the formula for calculating instantaneous velocity?

The formula for calculating instantaneous velocity is v = lim Δt→0 (Δx/Δt), where v represents the instantaneous velocity, Δx represents the change in an object's position, and Δt represents the change in time.

5. Why is instantaneous velocity important in science?

Instantaneous velocity is important in science because it allows us to analyze the motion of objects with more precision. It can be used to determine the exact speed and direction of an object at a specific point in time, which is crucial in many scientific fields such as physics and engineering.