Instantaneous Velocity: drag racing problem

1. The figure shows a graph of actual position-versus-time data for a particular type of drag racer known as a "funny car."
    [​IMG]

Estimate the car's velocity at 2.0s

Equation:
    v = m/s

I thought I knew how to solve this, and I made a tangent line at the curve and 2s, and when I do the slope at different points on the tangent I keep getting somewhere in the field of 50m/s. However, it keeps telling me I'm wrong. What should I be doing differently?

Thank you for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. BruceW

BruceW 3,598
    Homework Helper

your answer looks ok to me. what keeps telling you that its wrong?

4. The program I have to use for class (Mastering Physics). It says express the answer with proper units and 2 significant figures, but whether I put in 50m/s or 50.0 m/s, it's still saying it's incorrect?

5. SammyS

SammyS 8,876
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I get a somewhat steeper slope. ≈ 65 m/s

Have you tried entering scientific notation?

6. Thanks!

67 m/s ended up being the correct answer. I redrew my tangent line, and took another slope and I ended up getting an answer extremely close to that, so my tangent line was just off before. Only problem is now, I have to do this again for t=4s. I have, once again, exhausted most of my attempts trying to get the correct answer. What am I doing wrong?? Here is my tangent line for t=4:
    [​IMG]

I am getting a slope around 80m/s. Is my tangent line really that off?

Thank you so much for your help!

7. SammyS

SammyS 8,876
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's at t = 4 seconds !

8. I know that. :) This is for the second question, which is for the velocity at t = 4s. The first question was t = 2s. I got that answer for t = 2s correct now, it was 67 m/s. But now I can't get the correct answer for t = 4s.

9. SammyS

SammyS 8,876
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you figure that slope to be 80 ?

It's much more like ≈250/2 = 125

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?