1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insulating Spherical Shell Potential Problem question

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a question about an upper-division E&M HW
    problem I'm stuck on. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Problem Statement:

An insulating spherical shell of radius R was set up to have a potential
    on its surface of V=A*cos^2(theta), where A is a constant. The potential
    at a distance very far away from the shell is defined to be zero.

(a) Find the potential V(r,theta) both inside and outside the shell.

2. Relevant equations

E=-(grad)V

3. The attempt at a solution

Since E=-(grad)V , I took the gradient in spherical coordinates of the V expression above
    and got

E={[(2*A)/R]cos(theta)sin(theta)}theta-hat

for the E field on the surface of the shell. I then let R become the
    variable r and tried to do the line integral from "infinity" to R
    to get the potential outside the shell. But this involves a dot product with dr
    which is orthogonal to theta-hat so I got ZERO!! which certainly
    doesn't make sense...I would REALLY appreciate any advice someone might have on
    this problem!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    Think carefully about what you're doing here.

Here's how I have read the question: You have a charged insulating spherical shell and no other sources of charge. You know the potential on the shell; deduce the potential at all other points.

Now the equation E=-grad(V) tells you how to get the electric field from the potential. I couldn't follow exactly what you were doing but it seemed like you calculated the electric field along the surface of a shell (you don't know what it is perpendicular to the shell yet) trying to add together infinitely many spherical shells to find the electric field of a solid sphere of infinite radius?

I think you need to consider general techniques for obtaining the potential due to a charged spherical shell, knowing the potential on the surface of the shell.

4. Apr 19, 2010 #3
    THANK YOU very much for your response.

Yes, I agree. I think I need to solve Laplace's Equation in spherical subject to the
    boundary conditions:

(i) Vin = Vout
    (ii) (dVin/dr - dVout/dr)|r=R = -(surface charge density)/epsilon-knot
    (iii) As r-> infinity , V-> 0

Does this sound right to you?

Thank you so much again in advance!

5. Apr 19, 2010 #4
    I solved the problem using Laplace's Equation - the only problem is the Dielectic aspect of the shell. I suppose my boundary condition (ii) above:

(ii) (dVin/dr - dVout/dr)|r=R = -(surface charge density)/epsilon-knot

is wrong? Should I just change the epsilon-knot to the epsilon of the dielectric surface?
    Although that doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. If there's no dielectric
    VOLUME then does it not "matter" and I should just use epsilon-knot for the vacuum around???

Anyway, thank you so much again for your help! I REALLY appreciate it!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook